starting strength gym

Thread: SS Radio #56: Atty. Chad Lampe: Power, Authority, and Thinking for Yourself

Default SS Radio #56: Atty. Chad Lampe: Power, Authority, and Thinking for Yourself

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

"How did you and I get trained to be mentally strong and they didn't?"

I've struggled to come to terms with this concept for a while. It seems some people have a spark, and others don't. Or, some people take the initiative to light their own spark later in life, having recognized an internal deficiency.

Why do some have it, and others don't? Why do some people spend their lives under the influence of nothing but their own emotions and cravings, and others actively assert a sovereignty over their own minds? How do you influence someone else to become mentally strong?

A year or so ago, I read The Carol Dweck book "Mindset". The crux of it is the idea of a "growth mindset", which is a belief that you can change yourself (e.g. become better at something, change your outlook on something, etc...). it's a pretty simple concept, but to someone that's never considered it before, it can be profound. Or, on the other hand, someone that's never considered it before might consider it all to be bullshit. I've seen both reactions.

Does anyone here have recommendations on other works (books, movies, poems, music, stand-up comedy routines.....anything) that address this? I feel like the human race has grappled with this for hundreds of years. Surely someone, at some point, has had something insightful to say about this.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brothers View Post
    "How did you and I get trained to be mentally strong and they didn't?"

I've struggled to come to terms with this concept for a while. It seems some people have a spark, and others don't. Or, some people take the initiative to light their own spark later in life, having recognized an internal deficiency.

Why do some have it, and others don't? Why do some people spend their lives under the influence of nothing but their own emotions and cravings, and others actively assert a sovereignty over their own minds? How do you influence someone else to become mentally strong?

A year or so ago, I read The Carol Dweck book "Mindset". The crux of it is the idea of a "growth mindset", which is a belief that you can change yourself (e.g. become better at something, change your outlook on something, etc...). it's a pretty simple concept, but to someone that's never considered it before, it can be profound. Or, on the other hand, someone that's never considered it before might consider it all to be bullshit. I've seen both reactions.

Does anyone here have recommendations on other works (books, movies, poems, music, stand-up comedy routines.....anything) that address this? I feel like the human race has grappled with this for hundreds of years. Surely someone, at some point, has had something insightful to say about this.
    The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand is a good excursion into the world of self esteem.

Default Understanding human corruption

I think Rand was quite insightful. A deeper look into the negative side is “Dictators Handbook”. You’ll recognize a lot of the outlined motivations in that book.

John Brothers;1772767]"How did you and I get trained to be mentally strong and they didn't?"

Does anyone here have recommendations on other works (books, movies, poems, music, stand-up comedy routines.....anything) that address this? I feel like the human race has grappled with this for hundreds of years. Surely someone, at some point, has had something insightful to say about this.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand is a good excursion into the world of self esteem.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSG View Post
    I think Rand was quite insightful. A deeper look into the negative side is “Dictators Handbook”. You’ll recognize a lot of the outlined motivations in that book.
    Why don’t you try and explain these ‘motivations’. I’d be very interested in your argument supporting your premise.

Of course you won’t do so and have most likely never read the book. I hear a lot of this gook.