starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rip Is The Dave Ramsey Of The Weight Room - Starting Strength Radio Clips

Default Rip Is The Dave Ramsey Of The Weight Room - Starting Strength Radio Clips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

I am in the financial services industry. Rip is nothing like Ramsey. Ramsey is an entertainer and marketer. But if I said what Ramsey says, I'd lose my licenses.

Dave Ramsey can't tie Mark's jock.

Who's Dave Ramsey? Yes, I know I could look it up, but then I would know and like Sherlock Holmes, would have to try and forget. So never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    I am in the financial services industry. Rip is nothing like Ramsey. Ramsey is an entertainer and marketer. But if I said what Ramsey says, I'd lose my licenses.
    What do you disagree with Dave about?

His investing approach is very poor. The order of operations that he subscribes to is incorrect. His debt approaches (some of his approaches to payoff mortgages) and how they align with investing is not good.

Again, I'd lose my series 7 and 66 if I said some of the things he says.

I also acknowledge that he has helped many people. Doing something is better than doing nothing and he gets people to at least do something.

He's a master marketer and phenomenal business man. Not a financial advisor.

He advocates being out of debt, and I advocate getting stronger. I think we both have helped many people. But I have a couple of problems with his advice. For example, what is wrong with a credit card if I pay the balance off every month?

There is no good advisor that will say that carrying CC debt is good. What you do is smart... Get the rewards points!

To my knowledge, He doesn't advocate saving enough (should be 20%) and his logic behind his mortgage strategies are not fundamentally sound if you analyze ALL of the aspects of it.

His opinion on life insurance is wrong, flat out wrong (think bosu ball wrong, P90X wrong). That is a very long discussion point that can't be had on a message board.

Lastly, his advice can be good for Joe average. But a business owner... They require a different approach. High income earners also require different approaches.

Does P90X get results? Of course; it is absolutely better than nothing. You'll get results and be better for it. But that's not the path to getting truly strong. (I'm a P90X recovery addict). Ramsey can work and has. But it is not ideal.

His investing approach is very poor. The order of operations that he subscribes to is incorrect. His debt approaches (some of his approaches to payoff mortgages) and how they align with investing is not good.

Again, I'd lose my series 7 and 66 if I said some of the things he says.

I also acknowledge that he has helped many people. Doing something is better than doing nothing and he gets people to at least do something.

He's a master marketer and phenomenal business man. Not a financial advisor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    For example, what is wrong with a credit card if I pay the balance off every month?
    That is a very long discussion point that can't be had on a message board.

Lastly, his advice can be good for Joe average. But a business owner... They require a different approach. High income earners also require different approaches.

Does P90X get results? Of course; it is absolutely better than nothing. You'll get results and be better for it. But that's not the path to getting truly strong. (I'm a P90X recovery addict). Ramsey can work and has. But it is not ideal.
    He's talking to the average debt-riddled American with a low to high-medium income.

The way I see it: financial advisors are like good PhD nutritionists - they know a ton of info and will give good recommendations based on sound science and experience. Dave Ramsey is Stan Efferding - tells people what to actually do. Whether or not its rooted in "proper" science, or goes contrary to the good PhD nutritionists' recommendations, he gives people a roadmap, a process, and a cleverly named way to do things that they otherwise feel overwhelmed by. And most important, people follow it successfully. Good, solid advice from smarter or more qualified people notwithstanding.

I have a friend that years ago was having a tough time. To avoid temptation, she got rid of her card and lived frugally. Five years later, back on her feet, she got turned down for a car loan. The reason given was “no recent credit history”. He told her if she had a credit card with a payment history, he would have been able to give her a loan. Whether we like it or not, if we want to access the system, we have to be part of the system.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't disagree with this, especially your 'debt riddled' assessment. Ramsey hits his sweet spot there.

Again, P90X is good, it works. It gives you a schedule, some good looking people to watch while working out, and there you go!

Is it the best method to get strong? No. But you will get stronger doing it.

Last... A good advisor tells someone what to do, why they should do it. There's usually very little need to get into the minutia/nuts and bolts of the portfolio (as an example). At least that's been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    He's talking to the average debt-riddled American with a low to high-medium income.

The way I see it: financial advisors are like good PhD nutritionists - they know a ton of info and will give good recommendations based on sound science and experience. Dave Ramsey is Stan Efferding - tells people what to actually do. Whether or not its rooted in "proper" science, or goes contrary to the good PhD nutritionists' recommendations, he gives people a roadmap, a process, and a cleverly named way to do things that they otherwise feel overwhelmed by. And most important, people follow it successfully. Good, solid advice from smarter or more qualified people notwithstanding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast