starting strength gym

Thread: Carl Raghavan SSC: Training in the Time of COVID-19

Default Carl Raghavan SSC: Training in the Time of COVID-19

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

This exercising thing is wearing particularly thin. I’ve never enjoyed exercise and used to think Barbells were all about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    This exercising thing is wearing particularly thin. I’ve never enjoyed exercise and used to think Barbells were all about that.
    Agreed. It’s hard to find motivation without a goal and a sensible way to attain it.

Good article, Carl, but difficult to stay motivated without the session-by-session calibration of progress that you get in the gym.

Finding a way to increase resilience of your home set-up as far as you can is key, I think. I managed to add to my resistance band collection mid-way through lock-down but have given up on them for the last couple of weeks - they just feel so odd to me. I now have 120kg of weights sitting in the garden waiting to be unpacked. I have an olympic bar on order (though I think I may have been scammed so who knows when or if that will arrive... if it doesn't, I'll start using the plates on their own somehow! If anyone in the UK knows of a reputable barbell supplier who has them in stock, please PM me). Then the negotiation of getting freestanding single squat stands...

If all goes to plan, going forward, who knows, maybe I can save 6 months of gym fees a year and train outside?

It always surprises me that I have mild Doms after each near identical workout. 20x5 with 2x5Kg dumbbells yesterday, same as last 4 weeks and definitely some stiffness this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    Agreed. It’s hard to find motivation without a goal and a sensible way to attain it.
    See how many times you can swing a kettlebell in 10 minutes. Try to beat it.

See how many pullups/pushups you can do in 10 minutes. Try to beat it.

Or...build a home gym. That's what I did.

starting strength coach development program
    Or...build a home gym. That's what I did.

Yep, well, the plates are sitting outside, the barbell is (hopefully...) on its way. So, weather-permitting, garden training will be possible. But, living in inner London, a proper home gym is several £m for additional house space out of the question! And, in the meantime, the latest in the UK is that gyms may re-open in July...