starting strength gym

Thread: Does rate of weight increase impact the weight NLP ends at?

Default Does rate of weight increase impact the weight NLP ends at?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark,

Assuming a reasonable approach to adding weight, is the end of the NLP determined for each person by time(the best word I can think of
    to describe the process where the body has been exposed to particular stress long enough it stops responding) or weight?

The program outlines approx. times and amounts to change the amount of increase but if you were to err, would you recommend
    adding weight too quickly or slowly?

Obviously, if you added 15-20lbs to your squat every workout you would most likely have your NLP end because you were
    giving your body too much stress too quickly and the failure would be a result of this, as opposed to reaching your "true" NLP "end" weight.

But, if you went the other way of say adding only 2 1/2-5 lbs each workout would that impact the weight when you hit the NLP "wall", or only
    how long it took? I could see the weight being higher when the NLP stopped working with this approach because the body is adapting more gradually,
    but I could also see the opposite happening as the body would "get used to" the program and stop responding at a lower weight.

The other consideration would be the psychological considerations.

In your experience do most folks respond better to quicker, faster, progress which gets them excited about their progress but
    results in "the wall" being hit sooner and having to adjust to this, or a more gradual approach with slower gains but for a longer time which has
    the benefit of getting them in "the habit" of coming to the gym and grinding before they hit it?

It seems the SS method has a good combination of them both- the first several weeks bigger gains to get folks excited, and then a taper on adding weight to extend the time they are able to be making measurable progress, but if you had to err on when you went to the smaller increases would you say folks respond better to that taking place sooner or later?

I don't know if my question is going to generate a "read the book" type response because I missed something in my research, but regardless, I want to thank you
    for your generosity with your time and knowledge on this forum and in other areas.

Bob