starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS Radio #57: A Rant (duh) and How to Resume Training

Three comments:

1. Your recommendation not to exercise during these trying times-how can I put this delicately, well I can’t so I’ll be blunt-kind of contradicts Baker and a couple of SS coaches.

2. One set of 5 to begin with starting back-would that be a single/couple of reps for DL ? Would the pressing movements be one set, or because of smaller muscles go to 3 sets ?

3. Interesting point about electing a rolling list of new vipers rather than either not voting, or voting for a favourite colour.

1. I didn't recommend not to exercise. That's not what I said.

2. What is hard to understand about a set of 5? Warm up normally to a set of 5, do the set of 5, stop.

3. I am sometimes interesting.

I did it backwards. I resumed training when my buddy's gym closed. He's been coming over to use my garage gym and I would have felt like a real piece of shit if I wasn't lifting with him. I never lifted with anyone before except my wife occasionally. It's really forced me to be motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    1. I didn't recommend not to exercise. That's not what I said.

2. What is hard to understand about a set of 5? Warm up normally to a set of 5, do the set of 5, stop.

3. I am sometimes interesting.
    1. You said it’s likely we who chose to do a hundred air squats would likely be weaker than those who didn’t. Assuming that strength is the most important component, then I took it that this would not be a recommendation?

2. Yes, for squats, so that applies to each of the 4 -set of 5 squats, deadlifts, press and bench ? Just checking my understanding.

3. Quite often as it happens-if one ignores the bellicose grumpiness that surrounds it like a lighting bolt in a storm. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Roff_Gibbons View Post
    I did it backwards. I resumed training when my buddy's gym closed. He's been coming over to use my garage gym and I would have felt like a real piece of shit if I wasn't lifting with him. I never lifted with anyone before except my wife occasionally. It's really forced me to be motivated.
    I’m back and forward about buying a home set up as space is limited because of that aspect of motivation. I don’t want to be caught out again, but the reality is that if the gym is open I’m going to prefer to get my lifting shoes on. I think the answer is to wait until prices fall and lots of used kit comes on the market, then buy something Cheap (with a decent bar) which I can store away in case of emergency rather than paying out a lot for nice shiny new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    1. You said it’s likely we who chose to do a hundred air squats would likely be weaker than those who didn’t. Assuming that strength is the most important component, then I took it that this would not be a recommendation?
    It's not likely -- it is assured, absolutely. If your strength is the only thing you're concerned about, it would be better to not train than to do 100 air squats. But that may not be the only thing you're worried about. Your sanity may take precedence over your strength in These Trying Times. So you do something physical to keep from going apeshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's not likely -- it is assured, absolutely. If your strength is the only thing you're concerned about, it would be better to not train than to do 100 air squats. But that may not be the only thing you're worried about. Your sanity may take precedence over your strength in These Trying Times. So you do something physical to keep from going apeshit.
    I think it’s helpful for me to keep the continuity. The good habit of regular lifting might begin to fade after months of inactivity. I don’t do air squats, but I’m only using 20Kg which is 100Kg less than I was lifting-better than nowt was my approach. I hate it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post

2. Yes, for squats, so that applies to each of the 4 -set of 5 squats, deadlifts, press and bench ? Just checking my understanding.

3. Quite often as it happens-if one ignores the bellicose grumpiness that surrounds it like a lighting bolt in a storm. :-)

I’m back and forward about buying a home set up as space is limited because of that aspect of motivation. I don’t want to be caught out again, but the reality is that if the gym is open I’m going to prefer to get my lifting shoes on. I think the answer is to wait until prices fall and lots of used kit comes on the market, then buy something Cheap (with a decent bar) which I can store away in case of emergency rather than paying out a lot for nice shiny new stuff.

The second-hand market for this stuff is great. A lot of this newly purchased equipment will soon be back on the market, so if you're willing to be vigilant and patient, within about 6 months you'll have found enough stuff to have completely outfitted a good home gym at a fraction of the cost of buying new.

My gym reopens June 1. I assume your basic advice for a 70 year old with a 250x5 squat would be basically the same? My instinct, however, would be to be even more conservative. Is that unnecessary caution?

starting strength coach development program
    Don't go past 135 the first day, and take 3 weeks to get back to 245.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast