starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shortness of breath after heavy DL

Default Shortness of breath after heavy DL

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Rip,

Since about this past December 2019, I've noticed a correlation between heaviest deadlift sessions and a persistent difficulty completing deep breaths during baseline activity on the following days. Once it's triggered, it happens often and feels like a frustrated yawn. It eventually disappears over a couple of weeks. If I don't attempt to breath deeply, I don't notice it.

Nosing around for root cause, I'm wondering if holding a max effort DL at lockout (which I did Friday) could cause some inflammation of the diaphragm or nearby tissue, which might trigger this condition.

Thanks for your attention,

Vince

51 y.o., ~ 190 lbs, 5' 7"

(I've been to my GP for a general checkup and labs recently. Everything came back in the green.)

No idea. We'll ask.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Hello Rip,

Since about this past December 2019, I've noticed a correlation between heaviest deadlift sessions and a persistent difficulty completing deep breaths during baseline activity on the following days. Once it's triggered, it happens often and feels like a frustrated yawn. It eventually disappears over a couple of weeks. If I don't attempt to breath deeply, I don't notice it.

Nosing around for root cause, I'm wondering if holding a max effort DL at lockout (which I did Friday) could cause some inflammation of the diaphragm or nearby tissue, which might trigger this condition.

Thanks for your attention,

Vince

51 y.o., ~ 190 lbs, 5' 7"

(I've been to my GP for a general checkup and labs recently. Everything came back in the green.)
    I get this after heavy training for many weeks. I thought it was because I had gotten my bodyweight so heavy. But i haven’t trained heavy for 11 days and my breathing is normal now.

insert covid here

Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    insert covid here
    It had occurred to me.

Also, it doesn’t seem to have affected on-demand cardio. My power output on stationary bike intervals has been increasing.

I suspect it's tightness in either the intercostals or the muscles surrounding them. I haven't noticed it connected to the deadlift but I noticed something very similar to what you describe after coming back to chins a few weeks ago.

"Tightness"?

Stiffness. Making it hard to take in a fully expansive breath.

You have some interesting ideas.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    It had occurred to me.

Also, it doesn’t seem to have affected on-demand cardio. My power output on stationary bike intervals has been increasing.
    Not enough rest/sleep ? DL are taxing. I had to cut down on volume for back off sets. One day it was all going great and I was getting PRs, the next I was failing lifts, gassed and just not fully recovering between sessions. You’re 51 years old, it’s going to take it out of you the heavier it gets. Don’t have The unrealistic expectations of a 20 year old. Breathing heavily, holding a valsalva and lifting a heavy load is punishing and your 51 year old body is going to try and get you not to make it breathe hard. I get exactly the same thing. I lift, then the day after I’m out on a fast walk, the winds in my face and I’m going up a hill and wondering why I can’t seem to breath easily...duh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast