starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shortness of breath after heavy DL

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Problem is, there's nothing objective here, just a subjective sensation that you can't breathe deeply. Your resting respiratory rate, oxygen sat, and forced expiratory flow would be some nice numbers to know. These numbers can all be had with a watch and a coupla things from Walgreens if you're really worried about it.

But are you really worried about it? Your doctor found zippo--did you mention it? Is there any pain? Does it interfere with your ability to do conditioniong work? Garage cleaning? Sex?

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Not enough rest/sleep ?
    Almost always, e.g. worked to 4am this morning (work-from-home has encouraged extreme schedule habits).

Also noticed that psychological stress exacerbates the problem, which is not surprising.

I’m on a very gradual recovery after a lay-off in Dec-Jan. Last Fall I used to pull 445-465 for singles, sometimes doubles. Now 410x2 is a challenge. What a drag.

Knock it off, Vince. You're fine. Drink more before bed and get some sleep.

Deadlifts are stressful. When I screw up my form or my programming, they’re too stressful, and I get a sensation like what you’re describing. It’s probably just the stress. I’d take a look at your programming and recovery if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Problem is, there's nothing objective here, just a subjective sensation that you can't breathe deeply. Your resting respiratory rate, oxygen sat, and forced expiratory flow would be some nice numbers to know. These numbers can all be had with a watch and a coupla things from Walgreens if you're really worried about it.

But are you really worried about it? Your doctor found zippo--did you mention it? Is there any pain? Does it interfere with your ability to do conditioniong work? Garage cleaning? Sex?
    Thank you Sully. Not worried. It's merely an irritation. Death by 999 cuts probably feels about the same. I'm not obsessing over this, but certainly will look into self-diagnostics. It's as if you understand this "medical" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Knock it off, Vince. You're fine. Drink more before bed and get some sleep.
    Thanks Rip. Yes indeed. You mean other than Rittenhouse. I am certain I don't drink enough, water.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    Deadlifts are stressful. When I screw up my form or my programming, they’re too stressful, and I get a sensation like what you’re describing. It’s probably just the stress. I’d take a look at your programming and recovery if I were you.
    This is new; hasn't happened before under stress/duress. But then, I'm a year older.

I do appreciate the sharing all-around fellows.

#SuffocatingTogether

I am happy to report that the symptoms have subsided, a mere four days (not two weeks) after DL. I can now draw a deep breath on demand with minimal effort. There is song in the air.

Perhaps it was the talking cure.

Or maybe it was the volumes of grass clippings and dust I inhaled today mowing a hay-like yard. A boomerang effect.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    I am happy to report that the symptoms have subsided, a mere four days (not two weeks) after DL. I can now draw a deep breath on demand with minimal effort. There is song in the air.

Perhaps it was the talking cure.

Or maybe it was the volumes of grass clippings and dust I inhaled today mowing a hay-like yard. A boomerang effect.
    It was the prayer, Vince.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It was the prayer, Vince.
    Repurposed prayers. Excellent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12