starting strength gym

Thread: Retrolisthesis of L2 and L4 & Lifting

Default Retrolisthesis of L2 and L4 & Lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    (Spine films)

I'm 29, my retrolisthesis is very mild and grade 1. Pic of my spine attatched if you're curious. I am symptomatic, deadlifts do not trigger any pain that I have noticed. Squats I have yet to try to see if they trigger it. I formerly deadlifted 405 and my squat was mid 300s. This pain and stiffness started with overhead press which I have always felt caused me unnecessary spinal pressure (I have pretty significant lordosis)

I had radiating pain to my knees for 2-3 weeks that subsided and then returned again, and has again subsided. I have occasional butt pain now when sitting for prolonged periods but generally my lower back just feels sore. I have been doing Deadbugs, vacuums for transverse abdominals, and planks. My garage gym is nearing completion and I plan to move forward with deadlift and squat training if I can get the OK from PT.

Ultimately I'm afraid to train heavy again, I just want to train period, I need it for my mental health. I'm curious if you have any recommendations for me. I can't go with the 'company line' of medicine, despite the fact that I'm a nurse, of 'never squat or deadlift again, stop lifting weights.' Its been a part of my life for a decade... I also want to be able to move and pick up my first kid.

As it stands it seems like the retrolisthesis is VERY mild, but the fact that I feel pain is discouraging. I had a Neuroradiologist peek at my films on Reddit askdocs. He basically said my back is older than my age but the retro/spondy situation is very minimal

At what level are they calling the retro? I don't see anything at all.

They're saying it's L2 on L3 and L3 on L4. "Slight grade 1". Bud is completing his doctorate in physical therapy and peeked at the films as well and said he felt there was almost no finding there. He said he could see it but even the description calling it "slight grade 1" he felt sounded more alarming than what he is looking at. The sciatic like pain was the big concern for me. It's also been 6 weeks since this happened (which I understand isnt long for healing any connective tissue injury)

The sciatica is from something else, almost certainly.

I would think so as well. I thought maybe I had some Pirformis syndrome or something. It's since improved. I don't have an MRI to see if there is disc involvement but I have done slouched testing and had the sports chiropractor I was seeing do leg extensions with me to see if we could produce shooting pain and we were unable to. I couldn't say for sure it's even definite sciatica as there are many similar sensations with back injuries from what I've seen. I had a dull ache that felt like it spilled over my buttocks and to my knee, and to my calf on one day. I was taking a medication that can cause strange leg sensation which I've since discontinued (rare but it happens apparently). And I felt like things improved.

Maybe it's strain then that's causing the pain then since the retro seems so minor. Can't say I'm upset to see you say that.

Time to train.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Time to train.
    Music to my ears. Just in time too. Rack arrived recently and my plates come the beginning of next month with my new adjustable bench.

Homegym - Album on Imgur

Thank you Mark. I think I may stay away from some flexion and extension for now while I make my trunk more formidable. Funny how I sustained less injuries when I picked up more heavy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by zwalk View Post
    Music to my ears. Just in time too. Rack arrived recently and my plates come the beginning of next month with my new adjustable bench.

Homegym - Album on Imgur

Thank you Mark. I think I may stay away from some flexion and extension for now while I make my trunk more formidable. Funny how I sustained less injuries when I picked up more heavy shit.
    Where the hell dis you find plates? I’ve been hunting for months and still can’t find any!

starting strength coach development program
    If you look at the lateral Image, drawing an imaginary line down the lordotic curve at the back of your vertebral body, it looks fine IMO. Don’t see a retrolithsesis. I could see where he may see that if looking at the anterior or front of the vertebra in places but thats not what constitutes retrolithsesis. The posterior wall is the area closest to the canal anyway. Disc height and nerve foramen look very good.

Sciatic pain is probably piriformis syndrome. External rotator muscle on the hip. I usually get on the floor and take a baseball and put it under my butt and roll around To find the tender spot. You’ll find it pretty easily. Work it out in 30 Sec or so increments and it should release if so. Don’t forget to breathe while doing this. It will hurt some.

Yours looks better than mine and my top set for squats is up to 315. Just sayin...train and be smart!