starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disinfecting leather/suede belts

Default Disinfecting leather/suede belts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is there a disinfectant that can be used on leather and suede that won't destroy or discolor it?

I want to clean the belts in my facility without bleaching the color off. Dominion strength and "site:startingstren..." didn't have much to offer from what I could see.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Alcohol, but that's not good for the leather. Leather is not designed to be disinfected.

I'm just guessing here, saddle soap does have some soap in it but I don't know if it's strong enough. Maybe mix some microbial soap with saddle soap. The lanolin and wax in the saddle soap is important for the leather. I wouldn't do this on suede. It might be interesting to contact one of the belt manufacturers and ask what they recommend to decontaminate leather. They likely have gotten this question before.

A better question is: How long do germs live on leather?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Is there a disinfectant that can be used on leather and suede that won't destroy or discolor it?

I want to clean the belts in my facility without bleaching the color off. Dominion strength and "site:startingstren..." didn't have much to offer from what I could see.
    UV light would do it. And as long as you have them oiled, the light shouldn't cause issues.

A UVC lamp would probably work. Sunlight, too, to a lesser extent. None of the usual solutions (heat, steam, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide) would be good for leather, especially suede.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If someone with AIDS fucked themselves bloody with your belt (and certainly, I can fathom no other reason why you'd be so intent on "sterilizing" it, certainly not due to the corona virus - only a hysterical twat would be that paranoid!) best thing would be to lay it out in the sun for a couple of hours (after wiping off/brushing off the excess feces, lube and dried blood, of course).

Good luck with your super safe lifestyle choices! Im sure you will live forever!

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    If someone with AIDS fucked themselves bloody with your belt (and certainly, I can fathom no other reason why you'd be so intent on "sterilizing" it, certainly not due to the corona virus - only a hysterical twat would be that paranoid!) best thing would be to lay it out in the sun for a couple of hours (after wiping off/brushing off the excess feces, lube and dried blood, of course).

Good luck with your super safe lifestyle choices! Im sure you will live forever!

This is probably true. HOWEVER, the UIL (governs interscholastic activities in TX HS) has come up with some fantastic guidelines for the return to summer conditioning and workouts. I imagine that the question above had to do with Ohio's gym re-opening plan.

I am scrambling to make us compliant here because I have someone who will snitch if all the rules are not followed to the last letter. Could be same deal with Andrew.

sb

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's a good question. I never assumed leather to be much different than other fabrics in terms of habitability - maybe I assumed wrong.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    This is probably true. HOWEVER, the UIL (governs interscholastic activities in TX HS) has come up with some fantastic guidelines for the return to summer conditioning and workouts. I imagine that the question above had to do with Ohio's gym re-opening plan.

I am scrambling to make us compliant here because I have someone who will snitch if all the rules are not followed to the last letter. Could be same deal with Andrew.

sb
    Ah...public "schools". That explains everything. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast