Disinfecting leather/suede belts Disinfecting leather/suede belts

starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Disinfecting leather/suede belts

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,261

    Default Disinfecting leather/suede belts

    • texas starting strength seminar september 2020
    • wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    Is there a disinfectant that can be used on leather and suede that won't destroy or discolor it?

    I want to clean the belts in my facility without bleaching the color off. Dominion strength and "site:startingstren..." didn't have much to offer from what I could see.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    42,151

    Default

    Alcohol, but that's not good for the leather. Leather is not designed to be disinfected.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    146

    Default

    I'm just guessing here, saddle soap does have some soap in it but I don't know if it's strong enough. Maybe mix some microbial soap with saddle soap. The lanolin and wax in the saddle soap is important for the leather. I wouldn't do this on suede. It might be interesting to contact one of the belt manufacturers and ask what they recommend to decontaminate leather. They likely have gotten this question before.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    42,151

    Default

    A better question is: How long do germs live on leather?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Is there a disinfectant that can be used on leather and suede that won't destroy or discolor it?

    I want to clean the belts in my facility without bleaching the color off. Dominion strength and "site:startingstren..." didn't have much to offer from what I could see.
    UV light would do it. And as long as you have them oiled, the light shouldn't cause issues.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    266

    Default

    A UVC lamp would probably work. Sunlight, too, to a lesser extent. None of the usual solutions (heat, steam, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide) would be good for leather, especially suede.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    La Jolla California
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    A better question is: How long do germs live on leather?
    If someone with AIDS fucked themselves bloody with your belt (and certainly, I can fathom no other reason why you'd be so intent on "sterilizing" it, certainly not due to the corona virus - only a hysterical twat would be that paranoid!) best thing would be to lay it out in the sun for a couple of hours (after wiping off/brushing off the excess feces, lube and dried blood, of course).

    Good luck with your super safe lifestyle choices! Im sure you will live forever!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Rocksprings, TX
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    If someone with AIDS fucked themselves bloody with your belt (and certainly, I can fathom no other reason why you'd be so intent on "sterilizing" it, certainly not due to the corona virus - only a hysterical twat would be that paranoid!) best thing would be to lay it out in the sun for a couple of hours (after wiping off/brushing off the excess feces, lube and dried blood, of course).

    Good luck with your super safe lifestyle choices! Im sure you will live forever!

    This is probably true. HOWEVER, the UIL (governs interscholastic activities in TX HS) has come up with some fantastic guidelines for the return to summer conditioning and workouts. I imagine that the question above had to do with Ohio's gym re-opening plan.

    I am scrambling to make us compliant here because I have someone who will snitch if all the rules are not followed to the last letter. Could be same deal with Andrew.

    sb

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    A better question is: How long do germs live on leather?
    That's a good question. I never assumed leather to be much different than other fabrics in terms of habitability - maybe I assumed wrong.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    La Jolla California
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    This is probably true. HOWEVER, the UIL (governs interscholastic activities in TX HS) has come up with some fantastic guidelines for the return to summer conditioning and workouts. I imagine that the question above had to do with Ohio's gym re-opening plan.

    I am scrambling to make us compliant here because I have someone who will snitch if all the rules are not followed to the last letter. Could be same deal with Andrew.

    sb
    Ah...public "schools". That explains everything. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •