starting strength gym

Thread: Can I start Squats after 18 months since Spinal Decompression back surgery?

Default Can I start Squats after 18 months since Spinal Decompression back surgery?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark,
    My name is Scott Whitcomb.

I had spinal decompression surgery about 18 months ago to scrape out all of the arthritic calcification (stenosis) in the lower 1/3 of my spine. My discs were "thinning but fine" the surgeon said.

The surgery and healing went great and I healed very fast. Over time I have also experienced moderate "disc height loss" in some of my lower discs coupled with some mild herniation. However, my main issue was getting rid of the stenosis which was a success.

My doctors stated to "stay away from squats" to avoid a return of the stenosis. I complied but DISAGREE WITH THIS RIDICULOUS REQUEST!

I have worked out for 43 years and have always been able to lift heavy weights. I still work out heavy with my upper body but my legs are obviously starting to atrophy as a result of not being able to squat, I perform other leg exercises but it just isn't enough to maintain proper lower back, hip, and leg strength. I am also experiencing severe charlie horsing now in my Sartorius muscle and its excruciating which I know is a result of my weakening legs!

I watched your "Learning to squat" video on proper technique and its the best information Ive ever received!

I firmly believe that, with using proper technique, and slowly building up my resistance, I can start squats again to rebuild my hips and legs as well as lower back.

Do you agree with me being able to start squatting again?

Start back at 135 and see what happens. It's your back, not the doctor's.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Whitcomb View Post
    Hi Mark,

I had spinal decompression surgery about 18 months ago to scrape out all of the arthritic calcification (stenosis) in the lower 1/3 of my spine. My discs were "thinning but fine" the surgeon said.

The surgery and healing went great and I healed very fast. Over time I have also experienced moderate "disc height loss" in some of my lower discs coupled with some mild herniation.
    Like every other human being in the fifth decade.

However, my main issue was getting rid of the stenosis which was a success. My doctors stated to "stay away from squats" to avoid a return of the stenosis.
    I cannot for the life of me elaborate any reasonable mechanism by which squats alone* would precipitate a "return of the stenosis." And neither can your doctor. Unless he's done a case series on these, he's talking out his ass.

*Squats + a few decades might do it. But mostly because of the decades. Time is doing the heavy lifting in that scenario. Because aging, and entropy. Did your doctor tell you to avoid aging and entropy?

It’s very easy for doctors to tell you not to do things. A case of CYA. However the litigation subculture doesn’t help, neither does the fact that 90% of the people that do weighted squats don’t do them effectively which incorrectly means they are labelled a bad exercise. Much easier to recommend 100% safe and 100% ineffective exercises.

One of the best Starting Strength articles referred to a study in which young military cadets at their version of West Point Underwent spinal exams. This population of young men mind you, in top physical condition, a rediculously high percentage were “diagnosed” with spinal “degeneration”. So maybe degeneration happens to everyone as a result of living and completing against gravity nonstop.since I am in my 50s, so I am sympathetic. But the reality is that everyone’s disks and spine degenerates from the simple act of living.

Disclaimer: do not listen to me I am just some guy in the j termed. Listen to Rip and Dr Sullivan who posted above.