starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting with Paronchyia

Default Lifting with Paronchyia

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm pretty sure I've developed Paronchyia (an infection around the nail/cuticles) in my left index finger. There is no weeping, but in the last 36 hours it has swollen up to 3 times the size as the one on the right and hurts like piss if I even graze it on anything. I got through training today though, and think as long as it doesnt get worse I'll be able to train as normal (albeit, with a few more tears in between sets). My question is, with that much inflammation, am I going to make it worse? Spread the infection? Cause a soft tissue injury?

Anyone got experience with this?

Never heard of it. We'll ask.

Go to Urgent Care. They’ll slice it open, drain it, and give you antibiotics.

I once had an infection under my thumbnail after I got a chestnut shell stuck under it. It hurt like hell to graze it as you said, but I still went ahead and did hookgrip deadlifts. Might have been dumb. I survived. Not sure if relevant, but the infection was not getting any better and the Dr. wanted to remove my whole thumbnail to treat it. I started to soak the thumb in salt-water and the infection cleared up in a few days. Maybe something to try.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    Go to Urgent Care. They’ll slice it open, drain it, and give you antibiotics.
    I was hoping I could prevent it getting to that stage with hot Epsom salt soaks, but you could see the beginning of an abscess forming yesterday so bit the bullet and went and got it drained this morning. My god it bled. It was like someone had slaughtered a pig.

Dont know if I'll be able to deadlift tomorrow, but hopefully everything else that's scheduled should be doable.

starting strength coach development program
    Never let the sun set on undrained pus.