starting strength gym

Thread: valsalva

Default valsalva

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip; Hoping you can clear up a question I have about breathing properly during the squat. Yes I have read the blue book and went over the section a few times on the valsalva maneuver . I have been doing what I thought was the proper breathing technique for sometime now, however my eyes feel like they are going to pop out of my head from the pressure sometimes when the weight is getting heavy for me. Recently suffered a sinus /ear infection and the held breath during the sqaut seemed to agitate this more. Still have a bit of the dam infection but after two weeks need to get back to my lifts.
    Can you please explain the valsalva maneuver technique? I usually hold the breath.but feel it being held more in my head...I have long femurs and I am bent over quite a bit during the squat. Will my head pop off? lol...Is it ok to sqaut or do any lifts when suffering sinus/ head cold?
    Should I extend my stomach or something when holding the breath? I am sorry but the book does not give detail on the actual technique. It merely says take a big breath and hold the glottis! I am wondering if I have been doing it wrong this whole time....or maybe I am simply over thinking it.
    Thank you

You're holding it in your mouth. Hold your breath with your mouth open.

Oh!!! Ok ...Ah yes...I see now what you mean!!
    So simple..
    Thank you