starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loose hips and ligaments in pregnancy

Default Loose hips and ligaments in pregnancy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

I am just finishing my 1st trimester of pregnancy still doing the novice program (the progress is slowing down rapidly).
    I have already started experiencing loose hips and ligaments, it almost feels like the hip joint is not in the socket (I can feel it especially in my right hip).
    This is my second pregnancy and I had this problem last time as well, however, back then I didn’t do any barbell training so I have no idea how to prevent myself from getting injured especially during squats, deadlifts feel fine so far. I don’t even know, whether I should worry about this at all.
    Today’s squat session didn’t feel stable at all, the whole time I was squatting it felt like the hip is just gonna pop out because it’s so loose. I feel a bit let down because I hoped being strong might prevent this and the joint would become more stable with the strong muscles.
    What would you recommend? My guess is to lower the intensity and maybe focus a bit more on volume but I have no idea, all I know is I want to keep squatting

My current last week numbers were squat 146kg 3x5, deadlift 162kg x 5. I am 24, 163cm, 74kg, not using any belt.

I will be thankful for any advice

First, where in the squat ROM do your perceive the problem? Bottom? Second, wear your belt and see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    First, where in the squat ROM do your perceive the problem? Bottom? Second, wear your belt and see if it helps.
    This woman should also see her obstetrician AND a good endocrinologist (one who focuses on all hormones, not just those of diabetic slobs): "In women, elevated concentrations of maternal relaxin during pregnancy are associated with preterm birth and the lack of circulating relaxin is associated with increased insulin resistance."

She ought not be fucking around w this shit. Keep training, try the belt and all that good shit AND get thee to a proper physician.

Relaxin in Human Pregnancy

I'd never have guessed that wearing a belt, as tightly as it looks like one should wear a belt, would be good for the baby.

I also am a man who's never been pregnant.....

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    I'd never have guessed that wearing a belt, as tightly as it looks like one should wear a belt, would be good for the baby.

I also am a man who's never been pregnant.....
    Do you think that a properly worn belt is worn tightly enough to compress the uterus?

Or that the pressure would affect a 1st-trimester fetus?

I had no damn clue..... I learned something reading this post/thread. That it's okay for a pregnant woman to wear a tight belt.

Glad I now know. I won't be pulling a Larry David in Curb Your Ethusiasm.

At what stage of pregnancy is the belt contraindicated and how long can she lift heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    At what stage of pregnancy is the belt contraindicated and how long can she lift heavy?
    Time to follow your own advice, Rip. Dont tell pregnant broads to start training. Better tell this one not to and see her doctor. I dont know how tight a belt has to be to compress a first trimeseter uterus - do you?

starting strength coach development program
    Read more carefully, Fat. I think you're drinking kinda early today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast