starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rip: Stress

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I was only 7.5K off a clean 180Kg DL. Aye cold stuff is heavier, something about excitation of the atoms, Rip will know-I don’t think it would be significant so bad luck there. I haven’t dropped any body weight, kept to the protein numbers
    Yes, well I am afraid that Mark will have to let go of the Sun and send it back down here to the Southern zone in the next few days. And yes weight plates are better lifted when heated to about 25 degrees C (77 degrees F), it has something to do with the thermal excitation of the molecules of steel. Plus the gravity down here is a shocker. Things just roll down hill too fast. Or maybe I am getting too old, 66 pushing 67, and the girls are starting to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Yes, well I am afraid that Mark will have to let go of the Sun and send it back down here to the Southern zone in the next few days. And yes weight plates are better lifted when heated to about 25 degrees C (77 degrees F), it has something to do with the thermal excitation of the molecules of steel. Plus the gravity down here is a shocker. Things just roll down hill too fast. Or maybe I am getting too old, 66 pushing 67, and the girls are starting to catch up.
    I’m 60, so got more downhill to come. I lift more than most in my local gym :bawl: :cry: but I’m my own master, on my own little journey. When I started 2.5 years ago, the rapid progress of NLP gave me a false sense of my own capacity. It took some time to accept the swift slowing of progress and adjust to the new struggle to add weight over ever longer periods of time. I’d just settled into a lovely little groove, doing the work, keeping the diet straight, getting sufficient sleep and making more copious notes in my log book. Every so often I’d get the thrill of another nice little PR just to reward the long hours of focused effort. Having it ripped away, when there’s a perfectly good gym and I’m injury free, fit and healthy, is total crap.

We still don’t know when the gyms will open again. There’s some talk of ‘light weights’ to prevent undue heavy breathing. If that happens I’m going to open my own little gym which will be by invitation only. No sign above the door, no windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I’m 60, so got more downhill to come. I lift more than most in my local gym :bawl: :cry: but I’m my own master, on my own little journey. When I started 2.5 years ago, the rapid progress of NLP gave me a false sense of my own capacity. It took some time to accept the swift slowing of progress and adjust to the new struggle to add weight over ever longer periods of time. I’d just settled into a lovely little groove, doing the work, keeping the diet straight, getting sufficient sleep and making more copious notes in my log book. Every so often I’d get the thrill of another nice little PR just to reward the long hours of focused effort. Having it ripped away, when there’s a perfectly good gym and I’m injury free, fit and healthy, is total crap.

We still don’t know when the gyms will open again. There’s some talk of ‘light weights’ to prevent undue heavy breathing. If that happens I’m going to open my own little gym which will be by invitation only. No sign above the door, no windows.
    Well believe it or not there is a new gym opening here. I don't go to any gym though, I set up in the what use to be the old garage out back and I don't do most lifts except for the press, squat, and dead lift, that is enough for me and I train three times a week and most of the time it is only at about 50% of what I was doing last year. I don't like training in the cold, it is mid winter here and the mornings are dark and cold, much better in the summer. I don't know how you folk up in the UK handle those winters you get.

"Light weights to prevent heavy breathing" surely you must be joking. What if you bought a few plates and a bar and used the back yard?

Well believe it or not there is a new gym opening here. I don't go to any gym though, I set up in the what use to be the old garage out back and I don't do most lifts except for the press, squat, and dead lift, that is enough for me and I train three times a week and most of the time it is only at about 50% of what I was doing last year. I don't like training in the cold, it is mid winter here and the mornings are dark and cold, much better in the summer. I don't know how you folk up in the UK handle those winters you get.

"Light weights to prevent heavy breathing" surely you must be joking. What if you bought a few plates and a bar and used the back yard?
    I’m going to find some cheap industrial space and set up a few racks. I have several guys in my Gym who would want to join me in the case of over zealous restrictions. I intend to keep it low key and low cost equipment-used if possible. Enough to cover overheads and turn a small profit.

I don't know how you folk up in the UK handle those winters you get. ?
    I used to think the winters were cold here in the northeast of England. Then I experienced one in the northeast of Scotland. Which I thought was cold, until I experienced New York City in October. I thought that was cold until I went to Washington DC late November. My god, it was bitterly cold.

Work wants me to go to Buffalo for a course at some point and after looking on the map I’m praying its in the summer. It’s almost in Canada and I remember an unpleasant icy blast Canada sent the UK over the Atlantic a few winters ago so I can imagine their winters must be hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by Theseahawk View Post
    I used to think the winters were cold here in the northeast of England. Then I experienced one in the northeast of Scotland. Which I thought was cold, until I experienced New York City in October. I thought that was cold until I went to Washington DC late November. My god, it was bitterly cold.

Work wants me to go to Buffalo for a course at some point and after looking on the map I’m praying its in the summer. It’s almost in Canada and I remember an unpleasant icy blast Canada sent the UK over the Atlantic a few winters ago so I can imagine their winters must be hideous.
    If you're ever looking for more adventure, check out Minnesota in January. At -30°F the snot in your nose will start to congeal and freeze everytime you inhale.

Upsmanship:

Buddy in his cabin in Alder MT often has to deal with -40F. It complicates things when you can’t plow yourself out because the tractor’s hydraulic fluid won’t move.

Or simply an East-West street in downtown Chicago on the lake mid-winter. When the wind picks up you can feel your skull shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Upsmanship:

Buddy in his cabin in Alder MT often has to deal with -40F. It complicates things when you can’t plow yourself out because the tractor’s hydraulic fluid won’t move.

Or simply an East-West street in downtown Chicago on the lake mid-winter. When the wind picks up you can feel your skull shrink.
    I think there's a Monty Python sketch about this.

Ultimate one-upmanship is from an old college professor of mine. He did some work at a research station on Antarctica. He said they would pour Jim Beam into an ice cube tray and make 80 proof ice cubes for their cocktails.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    I think there's a Monty Python sketch about this.

Ultimate one-upmanship is from an old college professor of mine. He did some work at a research station on Antarctica. He said they would pour Jim Beam into an ice cube tray and make 80 proof ice cubes for their cocktails.
    Frozen alcohol...

Regrouping.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Frozen alcohol...

Regrouping.
    They all sound bad! And I’m usually more likely to complain about the heat, but I’m not sure which extreme is worse.

The bitter cold I felt in Washington could be overcome with one of those Russian hats I found at Walmart and extra clothes. But only to a point and those examples given above sound like you’d have to made of tough stuff.

But on the other hand there was no relief to the heat and humidly I’ve experienced. Spent 6 month in 2013 hating life when the ship I was on took me through the Mediterranean which I complained because of the heat, then through the Suez Canal to the red sea. I realised then the Med is not that bad. Went to Dubai, hated the heat. Then we sailed further east to to India, Singapore and then the Philippines- I was suffering bad.

I didn’t feel that kind of heat again until August 2018 when another ship took me to Florida. Wow.

Through experiencing both very hot and very cold, I certainly appreciate a dull rainy day in UK.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast