starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip: Stress

Interesting read, though not quite what I was looking for. I'm interested in some protocols for what to do with your lifting when you hit nasty life stress. Deload? Take time off? I don't like "take time off" as an option. Maybe I've developed a bit of an addiction to lifting in the past year.

Spot on Rip, as usual.
    Yeah keep lifting but solve your sleep problem.
    I've slept like crap for years. Afrin helps, but I've found that that the "right" white noise can work.
    It is a low percentage cure, but a cure for some none the less. Me in particular.
    I use the Pzizz sleep ap... I bluetooth my phone (with the app) to my Amazon tap by my bed and play it all night.
    Do research... figure YOU out.

At first I spent a lot of time focusing on my breathing and relaxing AND ESPECIALLY CLEARING MY MIND.
    If other people can do it, you can too. Maybe not exactly the same in all particulars.
    Fixing this is totally worth the trouble of figuring out how.

FWIW, I'm a travel industry analyst, highly tied to air travel. Our revenue virtually ceased due to Covid-19, and I've been
    tasked with figuring out how and when to "restart" world wide. No pressure. LOL. And, I'm 66 with "retirement plan issues".
    Again, no pressure. Been working 50-60 hours a week, and not keeping up by any stretch.

The big takeaway: You get to rest at night. No amount of thinking when you should be resting is worth a nickle.
    Thinking about your problems when you should be sleeping is stepping over $100 bills to pick up nickles.

Tomorrow is another day. Without rest, it will be a crappy day. With rest you will be awesome. Choose wisely.

Mark,

I offer this up as someone who appreciates all you have done to help others and I believe it would be chickenshit of me to not offer it up in return because of fear of being flamed.

The answer to Stress is a relationship with Christ. Only through this relationship are our Joy(not happiness which is different) and Peace independent of our situation.

I am grateful for all that lifting does for our physical and mental health and agree that it can be a successful outlet for our stress, but it can not remove it. Only a relationship with Christ can do that.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. Certainly a novel approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Spot on Rip, as usual.
    I've slept like crap for years. Afrin helps, but I've found that that the "right" white noise can work.
    It is a low percentage cure, but a cure for some none the less. Me in particular.
    I use the Pzizz sleep ap... I bluetooth my phone (with the app) to my Amazon tap by my bed and play it all night.

At first I spent a lot of time focusing on my breathing and relaxing AND ESPECIALLY CLEARING MY MIND.
    If other people can do it, you can too. Maybe not exactly the same in all particulars.

FWIW, I'm a travel industry analyst, highly tied to air travel. Our revenue virtually ceased due to Covid-19, and I've been
    tasked with figuring out how and when to "restart" world wide. No pressure. LOL. And, I'm 66 with "retirement plan issues".
    Again, no pressure. Been working 50-60 hours a week, and not keeping up by any stretch.

The big takeaway: You get to rest at night. No amount of thinking when you should be resting is worth a nickle.
    Thinking about your problems when you should be sleeping is stepping over $100 bills to pick up nickles.

Tomorrow is another day. Without rest, it will be a crappy day. With rest you will be awesome. Choose wisely.
    This is low IQ dilettante-boomer trash writing incarnate.

Especially informative and non-obvious recommendation here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Spot on Rip, as usual.

I was like you for some years. Episodically, recently as well. Here's what helped a couple of years ago and more recently:

Dearly Beloved complained about my snoring for some years. So I finally got a sleep study done two years ago. It revealed my oxygen levels fell to the mid 80's a few times. Well THAT got my attention. So I got a CPAP prescribed for me and decided once and for all to lose some weight. I was hovering around 275 at the time. Shortly thereafter I cut out all alcohol, albeit for other specific reasons than sleep. I bought a Fitbit, which helped a good deal in monitoring what was working and what was not in terms of sleep, exercise, and calorie burn. The sleep study tech agreed that the sleep reports from a Fitbit weren't near a gold standard but about 80% in the ballpark. Good enough for me. I initially lost 55 pounds over the course of a year. My sleep improved although the CPAP made my mouth feel like the Sahara when I got up in the mornings. Also, the noise and ventilation was disturbing DB's sleep. So, I quit using it. The weight loss and dropping the booze seemed to have mostly done it's thing, because my sleep stated good even without the CPAP. This was all after we retired in 2016.

This last year my sleep got crappy again. Not as bad as before, but less good. I was drowsy and headachy through the day, even with afternoon naps. The Fitbit reflected a lot of wakeups during the night. I have let my weight bump up from a low of 220 last year to 235 because I was competing in powerlifting again and wanted some more poundage on my totals, although I doubted that was the culprit for my sleep. So I cut caffeine to 1-2 cups of coffee a day along with my lifelong addiction to diet Pepsi. My sleep has improved again, and minus all the caffeine I was drinking, actually improved beyond what I was getting with a CPAP.

You might give this a try.

Quote Originally Posted by BobEwell View Post
    Mark,

I offer this up as someone who appreciates all you have done to help others and I believe it would be chickenshit of me to not offer it up in return because of fear of being flamed.

The answer to Stress is a relationship with Christ. Only through this relationship are our Joy(not happiness which is different) and Peace independent of our situation.

I am grateful for all that lifting does for our physical and mental health and agree that it can be a successful outlet for our stress, but it can not remove it. Only a relationship with Christ can do that.

Bob
    Not only that Bob but the Good Book has these quotes regarding physical training which I believe Mark has fulfilled numerous times.

"Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing. No, I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified."

1 Corinthians 9:26-27

Ultimate strength come from one source.

"I can do all this through him who gives me strength."

Philippians 4:13

We are all grateful thanks Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    We are all grateful thanks Mark.
    I'd be a lot more grateful if we could make the board secular so I wouldn't have to read this drivel. Seriously, we're allowing biblical quotes with the intent of religious preaching? I'm all for a juicy biblical reference, but this is too fucking far for me, man.

starting strength coach development program
    Grow the fuck up, zft. I'm the biggest godless heathen on the board, and it doesn't bother me a bit.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast