starting strength gym

Thread: Congenital Scapular Winging

Default Congenital Scapular Winging

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip,

I’ve been doing the Program for a few months (started around Christmas, then Covid ruined all the fun when I was making good progress. Finally got a rack and plates about a month ago), and I’ve noticed my deadlift lags far behind my squat.

I’m curious if you’ve ran across anyone with Scapular winging that has had similar issues?

I can pop out both scapulas about 3-4 inches straight back and have been able to since as far as I can remember. My daughter, 8, can do the same thing, so I don’t believe it is the standard scapular winging caused by sudden trauma.

I do use chalk, I’ve tried hook grip, but anything above 280 back starts rounding. Squats are to below parallel on all reps.

Here are my stats:

5’11”
    BW 170->210

Sq 135->300
    Bp 135->197.5
    Ohp 95-135
    Dl 135->285
    Pc 45->75

Thank you!

Post a video of your deadlift taken from the back. We need to see if you can control the scapular position under a load.

Okay, here is the deadlift, at rep 3 started feeling like back was rounding, rep 4 get it round a ton.

(Not my best angle).

Also feel slight pain in lat area afterward.

YouTube

Here are my squats for reference (300).

YouTube

Squats look like shit, but neither lift displays a significant wing. Maybe this is not what you think it is.

Rip,

Got it, will back take some weight off the bar and work on squat form and same with deadlift. Thank you sir.

starting strength coach development program
    I never noticed it at the time, however, in my clinical practice I have seen a seemingly direct correlation with scapular winging and low bodyweight / low strength. I recently came across a picture of myself at the beach when I was 145 pounds (bench press 1RM of probably 155) and I have obvious bilateral scapular winging. Now that I am somewhere between 185-192# with a bench press of 395 as of today, I do not demonstrate any scapular winging.

I have seen the same thing in the clinic repeatedly. As patients or clients get much stronger, the scapular winging miraculously goes away.