starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I stay safe from idiots at the gym?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Maybe your friend or girlfriend should stand guard when you are squatting and vice versa.

Why not just switch to supersetting leg extensions and leg curls? 3 sets of 12 reps......

At least the guy didn't come up and start telling you you need to have your back vertical, then start trying to mess with the bar as you were grinding out your last rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Ohanian View Post
    Maybe your friend or girlfriend should stand guard when you are squatting and vice versa.
    Training with friends is nice for this reason. Within my friend group at the gym, we all agree that we would watch out for randoms screwing with our lifts. Haven't had to 'stand guard' necessarily, but it's good to know that you have someone who will keep idiots off of you.

Whenever there's a lot of newbies around, group sessions, or old guys who 'used to bench 405 in high school' I always bring it up again with them. I really don't want anyone trying to spoon me at the bottom of a squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    train in a gym that is better controlled in terms of attendees.
    Permanent social distancing.

I.e., home gym.

I now dream of Squatus interruptus.
    Still the gyms aren’t open, but at least we can queue in a 500 yard snaking line, like naughty schoolchildren to buy our ration of Chinese made clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I now dream of Squatus interruptus.
    Still the gyms aren’t open, but at least we can queue in a 500 yard snaking line, like naughty schoolchildren to buy our ration of Chinese made clothing.
    Barbells, squat racks and plates have been very hard to come by, but I've found getting steel very easy.

Made a duplicate of my power cage at home from steel delivered from an online metal supplier, so that I could train at my work accommodation during the week and still have my gym at home for the weekend. I left a 20 kg bar and 155 kg of plates at home and took a 20 kg bar and 175 kg of plates to work. I'm back up to 180kg needed for squats and deads after an injury so I've been scouring the web for more plates. There's a new gym (I've forgotten the name) in build in County Durham (Spennymoor) and the owner is selling off plates at a fair price (£2 per kg - I say fair taking in to account the current supply and demand situation) as he is replacing them with ones with his brand on.

My point is, where there is a will, there is a way. I even looked at having some rough plates cast at the furnaces that are open in Yorkshire, but it didn't come to that. I'm lucky I already have bars and plates, but I bet if i really needed to, I could get some round steel bar and some plate steel and start putting something usable together. Training is too important to me to sit and wait.

Default WTF does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    How to stay safe from assholes violating your space?
    Step 1: Move to a liberal state. A good one like CA or NY is preferable.
    WTF does this mean?

Where people "obey" social distancing.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Where people "obey" social distancing.
    I'm new here, but I suspect there's more behind this than you literally mean.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast