starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I stay safe from idiots at the gym?

Default How do I stay safe from idiots at the gym?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was squatting my 507lbs work set today, and during my 3rd rep, some idiot decides that now is the time to get within a few inches of the bar and grab a weight. I yell for my friend to "get this fucking retard away from me", and he does, and I somehow collect myself and finish my set of 5. I of course berated him for his idiocy and he responds with "my trainer is a former Olympian, I know what I'm doing" -- and then he goes and does his 135lb bench work sets. A little while later my girlfriend is squatting and the same thing happens with someone else. I told him to get the fuck away now! This guy is not at all receptive to the criticism, refuses to listen to me, and says "if I hit the bar, it will make her stronger". What the fuck does that even mean? How can I protect us from these idiots? Do I need to set up some kind of barrier between the rack and everyone else? I am legitimately concerned for our safety.

You can either make them sufficiently afraid of you that they leave you alone, or you train in a gym that is better controlled in terms of attendees.

Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    I was squatting my 507lbs work set today, and during my 3rd rep, some idiot decides that now is the time to get within a few inches of the bar and grab a weight. I yell for my friend to "get this fucking retard away from me", and he does, and I somehow collect myself and finish my set of 5. I of course berated him for his idiocy and he responds with "my trainer is a former Olympian, I know what I'm doing" -- and then he goes and does his 135lb bench work sets. A little while later my girlfriend is squatting and the same thing happens with someone else. I told him to get the fuck away now! This guy is not at all receptive to the criticism, refuses to listen to me, and says "if I hit the bar, it will make her stronger". What the fuck does that even mean? How can I protect us from these idiots? Do I need to set up some kind of barrier between the rack and everyone else? I am legitimately concerned for our safety.
    Easy. Just turn him in to the gym staff for not social distancing. If that fails just randomly spot him while he benches. You can go two routes with this. 1- Put on your best Charles Manson stare and maintain eye contact throughout. 2- While standing uncomfortably close to his head rip a fart. Either way he will give you a wide berth going forward.

Yeah I would teabag him and fart in his face while he is bench pressing. Makes him stronger!

You would think that even the most idiotic of individuals wouldn't want to anger the man squatting 507 for reps..

Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    This sounds like a scenario in which it would be reasonable to fuck somebody up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaimi Kuenzli View Post
    You would think that even the most idiotic of individuals wouldn't want to anger the man squatting 507 for reps..
    As I'm sure you know Kaimi, most people don't know the difference between 500 and 225 on the bar. And I'm not some hugely muscular mean looking guy.

Simple, find another gym. Like this one:

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Rich View Post
    Simple, find another gym. Like this one:

YouTube
    Gotta say, some of those gyms lasted into the 70's too. Although I remember them looking like that in the 60's God knows.

starting strength coach development program
    How to stay safe from assholes violating your space?

Step 1: Move to a liberal state. A good one like CA or NY is preferable.

Step 2: Don’t wear a mask while squatting.

You can expect extreme social distance.

Downside: Police will be called on you since you’re “assaulting” other members of the gym, so get your sets and reps done quickly. If you’re lucky they won’t sit on your neck. If you’re not lucky, at least you squat 504 and probably have a thick neck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast