starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Julia Avila destroys another opponent.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Julia did really well - but in some ways too well. The fight looked like a mismatch.

No disrespect to the Panda though - you can only fight who they put in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    Boxers get paid so much more because of unions and legislation (see Ali act). The class action lawsuit against the UFC and other promoters points out the same problems that the Ali act fixed. For example, Deontay Wilder got ~$28 million to fight Fury the 2nd time and Jon Jones got ~$500k for his last fight. This is despite the fact that Jon sells more pay-per-views more consistently and more often than Wilder ever has.

Well, the other advantage that boxing has is multiple promoters and fights even go to Purse Bids if promoters can't agree. Obviously they have other issues with multiple sanctioning bodies etc that leads to alphabet soup world champions, but in MMA you have Dana or Bellator and that's largely it.

Sorry to do three updates in a row - she just got her new opponent announced and she is lower ranked than Julia. (Julia is #9 and her opponent Montana is 22 according to this list Women’s Bantamweight – Fight Matrix and she's already beaten her.

This was a funny interview with her though - she nearly kicked Dana White in the head: Video: Julia Avila nearly head-kicked Dana White with excitement after quick TKO win at UFC on ESPN 10 - MMA Fighting

Are they trying to make her leave? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Unless you're just leaps and bounds better than everyone, it's really hard to get overwhelming fan popularity. That's why Chael Sonnen, the Diaz Bros, and Ronda Rousey did so well. They were very good, but Chael and the Diaz Bros had some amazing sound bites and were just kind of dicks as a whole. Ronda had a "thing" which was just armbarring the piss out of everyone in round 1. Let's not forget about Roy Nelson, who's whole "thing" was just being a fat guy who KOed people walking backwards. "Say what you want about Roy Nelson, he's a great big fat guy" -Joe Rogan

Maybe Julia's thing could be "fuck your S&C coaches. They don't know shit. Here's a video of me squatting 315lb followed by a video of me knocking someone out with a knee to the face."
    I think dominant skill, particularly with an interesting style, is a big element. Sonnen dominated some good fighters--nobody did what he did to Anderson Silva, even though he lost by late submission. The Diaz brothers beat people it seemed like they had no business beating, with a unique style where tons of seemingly pitty-pat punches accumulated massive damage. B.J. Penn was a great fighter who rarely showed a mark on his face (had that skin that doesn't cut or bruise), but Nick Diaz busted him up.

As for personality, I think it has to authentic or mostly authentic. Rousey, in addition to her skill, had a really affable, charismatic personality that turned into the most intense game-face at fight time. Sonnen I think played up and exaggerated real aspects of his personality--he was probably one of the best at faking it and even he was only faking it 30%. Most of the time when a fighter says "I am going to play up a persona because that is what gets attention," it is cringe-inducing.

I guess as an admirer of the sport and the skills involved I resist the idea that popularity has too much to do with personality. As DiCaprio's monster of a character said (roughly) in Django Unchained, "All this talk of a Black Colossus is fine, but you need someone who can win fights."

Avila has a lot of confidence in interviews (based on hers with SS), and an interesting story/approach with the strength training. I bet if she keeps winning she will get attention. First-round knockouts don't hurt either!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    I think dominant skill, particularly with an interesting style, is a big element. Sonnen dominated some good fighters--nobody did what he did to Anderson Silva, even though he lost by late submission. The Diaz brothers beat people it seemed like they had no business beating, with a unique style where tons of seemingly pitty-pat punches accumulated massive damage. B.J. Penn was a great fighter who rarely showed a mark on his face (had that skin that doesn't cut or bruise), but Nick Diaz busted him up.

As for personality, I think it has to authentic or mostly authentic. Rousey, in addition to her skill, had a really affable, charismatic personality that turned into the most intense game-face at fight time. Sonnen I think played up and exaggerated real aspects of his personality--he was probably one of the best at faking it and even he was only faking it 30%. Most of the time when a fighter says "I am going to play up a persona because that is what gets attention," it is cringe-inducing.

I guess as an admirer of the sport and the skills involved I resist the idea that popularity has too much to do with personality. As DiCaprio's monster of a character said (roughly) in Django Unchained, "All this talk of a Black Colossus is fine, but you need someone who can win fights."

Avila has a lot of confidence in interviews (based on hers with SS), and an interesting story/approach with the strength training. I bet if she keeps winning she will get attention. First-round knockouts don't hurt either!
    "Black Hercules", he said

I don't know. A lot of fighters were authentic and never got crowd popularity, despite being really good. I wish we could have seen AnnMaria Demars do MMA as a 30 year old. She would have had the attitude and skills to make a huge splash.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123