Julia Avila destroys another opponent. Julia Avila destroys another opponent. - Page 2

starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Julia Avila destroys another opponent.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    535

    Default

    • texas starting strength seminar september 2020
    • wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by UberBabs View Post
    In contrast, even relatively low profile pro baseball players can make millions.
    That's largely explained by legislation, unions, and higher revenue shares. The UFC only gives ~16% of yearly revenue as fighter pay (and USADA pay is included in fighter pay). MLB is closer to 50/50. Granted it's a bigger organization with more revenue, but the disparity should not be as big as it is.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    That's largely explained by legislation, unions, and higher revenue shares. The UFC only gives ~16% of yearly revenue as fighter pay (and USADA pay is included in fighter pay). MLB is closer to 50/50. Granted it's a bigger organization with more revenue, but the disparity should not be as big as it is.
    What do you mean "should"? Like you wish the disparity were not so high?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Greater Los Angeles Area
    Posts
    145

    Default

    For Alex: How do you feel about how the UFC and especially Dana White treated Cyborg? I had dinner with someone a few months ago who knows her said she was treated very poorly. Until then I had admired Dana White for having built the organization.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    What do you mean "should"? Like you wish the disparity were not so high?
    Yes. UFC fighters are severely underpaid. And the biggest stars are the most underpaid relative to their value.

    Quote Originally Posted by UberBabs View Post
    For Alex: How do you feel about how the UFC and especially Dana White treated Cyborg? I had dinner with someone a few months ago who knows her said she was treated very poorly. Until then I had admired Dana White for having built the organization.
    Not very happy with it. She's not in the organization anymore for a reason. He's kind of always been a scumbag, even to his own fighters, so it's nothing new. Someone in her team released some doctored footage to try and make Dana look bad, so she lost that PR battle. Both Dana and people like Joe Rogan treated her like shit, no fake footage needed. Saying she looked like a man, etc. She's in Bellator now and I'm assuming she's getting paid more, too. But it's a less competitive organization with not even close to the same amount of eyes.

    Henry Cejudo, 125 and 135 champ just retired (citing money). Jon Jones, 205 champ, is sitting out because he's not getting enough money. Jorge Masvidal, who sold out MSG last year, is also not fighting because of money. Conor McGregor's sitting out. Amanda Nunes (female 135 and 145 champ) hinted at retirement, too. If you google "UFC Anti-Trust lawsuit" and read up about it, you'll see how poorly they treat the fighters.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    La Jolla California
    Posts
    2,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    That's largely explained by legislation, unions, and higher revenue shares. The UFC only gives ~16% of yearly revenue as fighter pay (and USADA pay is included in fighter pay). MLB is closer to 50/50. Granted it's a bigger organization with more revenue, but the disparity should not be as big as it is.
    Who the fuck watches baseball? Honestly. Gen X, white American here. I havent watched a baseball game in decades. By contrast, I really enjoy the UFC fights, even though Im ignorant of the skills/stragey. Its just entertaining. How the fuck does baseball even make money?????

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Its not a real pro-sport

    There's little money to be had, and little interest it to begin with ... if there were, something something free market something.

    and these problems would fix themselves

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Greater Los Angeles Area
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    Yes. UFC fighters are severely underpaid. And the biggest stars are the most underpaid relative to their value.



    Not very happy with it. She's not in the organization anymore for a reason. He's kind of always been a scumbag, even to his own fighters, so it's nothing new. Someone in her team released some doctored footage to try and make Dana look bad, so she lost that PR battle. Both Dana and people like Joe Rogan treated her like shit, no fake footage needed. Saying she looked like a man, etc. She's in Bellator now and I'm assuming she's getting paid more, too. But it's a less competitive organization with not even close to the same amount of eyes.

    Henry Cejudo, 125 and 135 champ just retired (citing money). Jon Jones, 205 champ, is sitting out because he's not getting enough money. Jorge Masvidal, who sold out MSG last year, is also not fighting because of money. Conor McGregor's sitting out. Amanda Nunes (female 135 and 145 champ) hinted at retirement, too. If you google "UFC Anti-Trust lawsuit" and read up about it, you'll see how poorly they treat the fighters.
    Thanks for the insight. The excuse I heard about not paying more is that there is no gate right now -- but that does not explain the situation before the shutdown. Since the sale and 25th anniversary promotion, it looks like Dana White's reputation (at least for the public) is being burnished. What I cannot understand is why boxers get paid so much in comparison. I don't think the people who run boxing have more integrity. Is boxing that much more popular? I find it boring in comparison to MMA.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    the Diaz Bros had some amazing sound bites and were just kind of dicks as a whole. "
    I disagree with this statement. The Diaz brothers were dicks to anybody they had to fight - because you know it is a fight. Outside of that the two are some of the nicest, humblest people you'll ever meet.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UberBabs View Post
    Thanks for the insight. The excuse I heard about not paying more is that there is no gate right now -- but that does not explain the situation before the shutdown. Since the sale and 25th anniversary promotion, it looks like Dana White's reputation (at least for the public) is being burnished. What I cannot understand is why boxers get paid so much in comparison. I don't think the people who run boxing have more integrity. Is boxing that much more popular? I find it boring in comparison to MMA.
    It's hilarious that Dana uses this excuse. The fighters never got any money out of the gate in the first place. He's always been a liar but people assumed it was mostly for the fighters' collective interest. Fans and fighters alike are finally turning on him, at least in this area.

    Boxers get paid so much more because of unions and legislation (see Ali act). The class action lawsuit against the UFC and other promoters points out the same problems that the Ali act fixed. For example, Deontay Wilder got ~$28 million to fight Fury the 2nd time and Jon Jones got ~$500k for his last fight. This is despite the fact that Jon sells more pay-per-views more consistently and more often than Wilder ever has.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Pullman WA
    Posts
    373

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Who the fuck watches baseball? Honestly. Gen X, white American here. I havent watched a baseball game in decades. By contrast, I really enjoy the UFC fights, even though Im ignorant of the skills/stragey. Its just entertaining. How the fuck does baseball even make money?????
    Well, whenever baseball is on all the commercials are for viagra and RVs. That might tell you something about who their main demographic is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •