starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body Tempering

Default Body Tempering

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip, what do you think of body tempering? Seems like getting at the muscle while it's slack might be one up on foam rolling.

Okay, I'll bite. Tell me what you think of this explanation: Body Tempering - BodyTempering.com

Performing Body Tempering on an athlete is a process in which we use these mechanisms to break tissue out of its adhesive state by being placed under a crushing load. This strength prepping helps to prevent hernias, tears, tweaks, muscle ruptures and protect against trauma. Promoting and increasing individual performance by allowing the body to work independently of muscle adhesion’s. Also, aligning the bone structure as it sees fit to do under the load of crushing forces. As of late, we started using the X-Wife for Muscle Pinpoint Tempering.
    There is a word for this. Boys and Girls, your answer?

“Bullshit”?

The Winner.

"Crushing forces"? What is, this, the Giles Corey workout? MORE WEIGHT!

I'm starting to think people watch old Addams Family reruns for money making ideas.

This has got to be the funniest thing I've read in a week!!!! I now think they need an advanced level certification for "Heated Body Tempering" to "make your body stronger than steel...."

I went to Donnie Thompson's old gym a few years ago for a short seminar on what he's called body tempering. He showed everyone how he uses the heavy rollers to roll out tissue before training sessions. Everyone got to try. It felt nice. He said it could help prevent injury and I'd been getting dinged up too frequently from training. So I decided to give it a try at home. What did I have to lose? A few minutes at the start of each training session? I cut up a bent rusty barbell, encased it in concrete in a 4" PVC pipe. Tube now weighs 71#. I started spending a few minutes before heavy lifting rolling that on my legs and anything that felt tight.

You know what? The lifting feels better when I do. Also seems like I have fewer little joint/muscle issues than I was getting before I started rolling out with this thing (I'm 37).

Does the explanation you posted about WHY it's supposed to work sound like horseshit? Of course. But there could still be an actual positive effect even if he attributes it to a wildly wrong mechanisms.

What I do know is that I feel better when I do it. And if I feel better during my lifting session I think that's going to be good for my training. Who knows, some of you who are actually open to new things might find the same thing.

If you wanna devote time to a pre workout ritual that works for you, go for it. But the explanation sounds weak to me man, and it sounds like a lot more trouble than its worth with all this encasing bars in concrete stuff. It sounds like it's just a vigorous massage.

starting strength coach development program
    pla·ce·bo ef·fect
    /pləˈsēbō əˈfekt,ēˈfekt/
    noun
    a beneficial effect produced by a placebo drug or treatment, which cannot be attributed to the properties of the placebo itself, and must therefore be due to the patient's belief in that treatment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast