starting strength gym

Thread: Why Not Use SS with Low Calorie Diet, Aerobics for Fat Loss?

Default Why Not Use SS with Low Calorie Diet, Aerobics for Fat Loss?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Everyone,

At least for people who have a hard time gaining weight, I know Mark Rippetoe advocates his SS weight training program, and a 4000+ calorie a day diet.

But, what about those who are 30%+ bodyfat and want to lose their fat the quickest, without sacrificing energy, strength and muscle mass?

1. I would think that the following would be best:

- Mobility stretching before, during and after exercise.
    - Some intense resistance training, such as SS. Perhaps SS would be the most intensive out there.
    - A mix of high intensity aerobics (like the HIIT Body-for-Life stresses), as well as moderate intensity, and even low intensity (like walking around the park, bike riding around town).

+ low calorie diet.

2. While 1980's exercise dogma spoke about lots of aerobics in the fat burning zone, and neglects weight training, we now know that is not the whole picture.

The real direct way is intensity of exercise (especially weight training + cardio), intensity of diet (strict dieting with calories, less sugar and bad fats), etc.

3. Why is dieting discouraged for those on SS? Why would it be a bad idea?

4. Any articles or data to support opinions that will arise?

Quote Originally Posted by jklunder View Post
    Hi Everyone,

At least for people who have a hard time gaining weight, I know Mark Rippetoe advocates his SS weight training program, and a 4000+ calorie a day diet.

But, what about those who are 30%+ bodyfat and want to lose their fat the quickest, without sacrificing energy, strength and muscle mass?

1. I would think that the following would be best:

- Mobility stretching before, during and after exercise.
    - Some intense resistance training, such as SS. Perhaps SS would be the most intensive out there.
    - A mix of high intensity aerobics (like the HIIT Body-for-Life stresses), as well as moderate intensity, and even low intensity (like walking around the park, bike riding around town).

+ low calorie diet.

2. While 1980's exercise dogma spoke about lots of aerobics in the fat burning zone, and neglects weight training, we now know that is not the whole picture.

The real direct way is intensity of exercise (especially weight training + cardio), intensity of diet (strict dieting with calories, less sugar and bad fats), etc.

3. Why is dieting discouraged for those on SS? Why would it be a bad idea?

4. Any articles or data to support opinions that will arise?
    I don’t think LP 3 days a week can be done with any serious deficit. I’ve found most success on HLM, carbing up the night before Heavy day and hoping to retain as much strength as possible. Seem to be able maintain until about what I’d guess as 15% bodyfat (bicep vein shows through, pretend six pack with light at just the right angle).

It’s what I’m doing now, in fact. Peaked at a bodyweight of 120 kg. Injury has stopped me PBing, and I’m up to 85-90% of pre injury weights with rehab, so I’m happy I can diet without it ruining healing up and it seems a good time to knock back the body fat.

I like fat loss to be quick, so I eat a kg of chicken breast everyday, no carbs or fat. Then 400-500g of carbs on a Friday so I can train harder on Saturday’s heavy day. Chuck a 1000 calorie cheat meal in maybe once a week and a some fish oil supplements and it averages out to below 1500 calories per day with 240g of protein. Its hell, but its quick and based on past experiences I will maintain strength until about 95 kg bodyweight.

There is also a section in PPST3 that deals with overweight trainees.

The simple reality is you cannot train (or exercise) your way out of a bad diet. Unless the subject is eating correctly, the methods of training will matter very little and potentially be detrimental if they are not getting enough of the necessary nutrients to prevent injury as they try to exercise away the pounds. Calories are not all the same. 2500 calories of a high value diet far outweighs 2500 calories of Jenny Craig or WW counting points. There is a reason training requires a close look at the diet... a point specifically noted in PPST3 on p99 if I recall...