starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Should Do Hip Thrusts? - Starting Strength Radio Clips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Also, doing hip thrusts with any substantial weight will fuck you up. Hip pain, back pain, knee pain.

I did them and it looked stupid and made me feel stupid. Never again.
    Yep, a lot of shear force across structures that are normally loaded primarily in compression.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'm not concerned about glute hypertrophy, or hamstring hypertrophy, or VMO hypertrophy, or gastroc hypertrophy, or any other individual muscle group's hypertrophy. I am interested in strengthening normal human movement patterns, which has proven its ability to produce hypertrophy in all the involved muscle groups.

Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition (Current Revision, Paperback) – The Aasgaard Company
    Thank you

Also, doing hip thrusts with any substantial weight will fuck you up. Hip pain, back pain, knee pain.

I did them and it looked stupid and made me feel stupid. Never again.
    I laugh my tits off every time I see someone do them, like. When did they become a common thing? They seem to have come out of nowhere. Same with facepulls, t-bar rows using a barbel jammed in the corner and a short range of motion, and trap bar deadlifts. I don’t remember anyone doing these 15 years a go. Now they’re everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Theseahawk View Post
    I laugh my tits off every time I see someone do them, like. When did they become a common thing? They seem to have come out of nowhere. Same with facepulls, t-bar rows using a barbel jammed in the corner and a short range of motion, and trap bar deadlifts. I don’t remember anyone doing these 15 years a go. Now they’re everywhere.
    Hip thrusts are commonly an ego lift around here, as hilarious as that sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaimi Kuenzli View Post
    Hip thrusts are commonly an ego lift around here, as hilarious as that sounds.
    I’ve had plenty enough big gals straddled across me to already know I’m king of the hip thrust. I’ll keep my ego lifts to the traditional chest bouncing bridge heave bench press and the hip swinging hyperextending lower back arm curl.

Hip thrusts are from girls with flat booties copying girls with great big T&A and a GymShark sponsorship on Instagram.

Face pulls are from Athlean X.

Trap bars are from ill advised PTs.

I don't know where t bar rows came from, so I assume some kind of bro stuff site.

...I hate that my brain knows all this useless information from the most useless corners of the internet. But anyways, you asked, so my useless knowledge is now yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    Hip thrusts are from girls with flat booties copying girls with great big T&A and a GymShark sponsorship on Instagram.

Face pulls are from Athlean X.

Trap bars are from ill advised PTs.

I don't know where t bar rows came from, so I assume some kind of bro stuff site.

...I hate that my brain knows all this useless information from the most useless corners of the internet. But anyways, you asked, so my useless knowledge is now yours.
    Thanks! I think I already knew, or should have known, with how much shite I watch and read. That athlean guy looks starved, young lads must see something different to me to want to look like that.

The trap bar thing seems to be a case of well we built it so we have to use it.

I know T-bar rows are a classic. I think Schwarzenegger was doing them in pumping iron, possibly to orgasm, but don’t know what has brought about their reprisals. They can be loaded with lots of the 45s and any skinny shit can get them moving 6 inches up and down with a bit of knee and hip and convince themselves they just “did lats”.

Back when I was really fucking dumb, joe rogan talked me into thinking hip thrusts were GREAT for jiu jitsu. Now I don’t listen to joe anymore.

In defense of the hip thruster, all I have to say is I don’t mind the ladies working on that ass more. But yes, squats do it better.

Back when I was really fucking dumb, joe rogan talked me into thinking hip thrusts were GREAT for jiu jitsu. Now I don’t listen to joe anymore.

In defense of the hip thruster, all I have to say is I don’t mind the ladies working on that ass more. But yes, squats do it better.
    Big ass and stick legs is no good; squats also give what I think are called thicc thighs and it makes for better lines.

starting strength coach development program
    Ronnie Coleman used to do a ton of t-bar rows using a barbell jammed in the corner and a short range of motion.

I know because I watched him do them all the time at Metroflex in Arlington back in 2004-2005.

I didn't laugh my tits off at Ronnie because he was very strong and had lots of hypertrophy. And, well, because he was a really cool guy.

Great documentary on him about all of his problems he's having nowadays, if anyone is interested...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast