starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Should Do Hip Thrusts? - Starting Strength Radio Clips

Default Who Should Do Hip Thrusts? - Starting Strength Radio Clips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

My wife did not know these existed. After I showed her a YouTube demo, she asked why girls with big tits should do these.

I shall have to get this important movement added to her programming.

You know, for glute activation....and stuff.

sb

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    My wife did not know these existed. After I showed her a YouTube demo, she asked why girls with big tits should do these.

I shall have to get this important movement added to her programming.

You know, for glute activation....and stuff.

sb
    YouTube is a great resource.

For, like, coaching purposes.

I can't find Rippetoe anywhere directly and seriously addressing the utility of the hip thrust, why it should or shouldn't be done. I caught this clip just now, and did a quick search, all I could find was another thread on this forum in which nobody including Rippetoe made any serious effort to discuss the hip thrust, and I don't recall coming across it at all in either the blue or grey book.

Is there a thread or article anywhere in which Rippetoe or anyone representing SS actually talks seriously about the hip thrust?

There is no such thread. There is also a paucity of discussion on the wrist curl and dumbbell flyes.

Thank you for replying sir.

I don't want to make the BB hip thrust a wedge to open up a huge topic about SS for hypertrophy, but it does seem to me on the face of it that the hip thrust is a useful movement for hypertrophy training, it loads the hip extensors over a portion of their range of movement that vertical lifts cannot, could you please furnish us with an explanation as to why the hip thrust isn't a useful accessory movement for glute hypertrophy, if we were to grant that as a legitimate ultimate goal?

I understand and preach that the low bar squat and the HGR are great for glute hypertrophy, but great isn't comprehensive and it isn't optimal, which I believe its fair to say is why we want to chin and not just deadlift, even though the deadlift isn't a bicep or lat 'driven' movement.

I've read Contreras' (in)famous article on the topic and it broadly makes sense to me with some caveats, but I'm a strong advocate of SS and of absolute strength training for almost all athletes, in the teeth of continuous pushback from the other coaches in my (high street commercial) gym. I like having something I can point to that shows the thoughtful side of the SS approach, and the hip thrust is a movement I programme for a lot of female clients with physique goals, in addition to trying to encourage them to adopt strength training as an absolute/proximate goal.

I try to be agnostic about the utility of the movement, I just have a prejudice as we all do, mine being in favour of it for certain purposes and that being a product of my experience. I should say that I enjoy your laconic, humorous treatment of a lot of topics on the podcast, but I've previously always been able to dig down and find you address a topic seriously, somewhere, at least once, even if only to mention the general principles by which you consider the topic itself to be redundant.

Also if/while I have you, do you think you'll ever run SS certification courses in Europe?

Kind regards,

Jake Norman

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There is no such thread. There is also a paucity of discussion on the wrist curl and dumbbell flyes.
    And I'm not finding much on the elastic band finger extension either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Norman View Post
    I don't want to make the BB hip thrust a wedge to open up a huge topic about SS for hypertrophy, but it does seem to me on the face of it that the hip thrust is a useful movement for hypertrophy training, it loads the hip extensors over a portion of their range of movement that vertical lifts cannot, could you please furnish us with an explanation as to why the hip thrust isn't a useful accessory movement for glute hypertrophy, if we were to grant that as a legitimate ultimate goal?
    I'm not concerned about glute hypertrophy, or hamstring hypertrophy, or VMO hypertrophy, or gastroc hypertrophy, or any other individual muscle group's hypertrophy. I am interested in strengthening normal human movement patterns, which has proven its ability to produce hypertrophy in all the involved muscle groups.

Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition (Current Revision, Paperback) – The Aasgaard Company

For what it is worth, Biolayne had a reasonable take on the hip thrust based on a glute hypertrophy study. Main takeaway was that squats are still better, but when it comes to managing your fatigue, HTs MAY be a useful accessory to slip in for them cheek gains if the back squat is beating you up.....if getting those tasty buns is your ultimate goal.

Booty Gains - Squats & Hip Thrusts Put to the Test | Biolayne

starting strength coach development program
    Also, doing hip thrusts with any substantial weight will fuck you up. Hip pain, back pain, knee pain.

I did them and it looked stupid and made me feel stupid. Never again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast