starting strength gym

Thread: Hybrid Model for Olympic Lifting in Practical Programming | No Bench?

Default Hybrid Model for Olympic Lifting in Practical Programming | No Bench?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good day!

After several months of (highly enjoyable) beginner's gains, I am seriously plateauing. I now wish to move on with the "hybrid model for olympic lifting" as presented in Mark's Practical Programming book (I thought about posting in the Programming section, but since this program is by Mark himself, voilą). The agenda looks great but I am concerned about one thing: there is no bench press. As far as my general progression went, I feel like the press supported the bench, and vice versa. I was never really stuck for as long as one of the two presses was moving up. I also had to fight a lot to get my bench (which is my worse exercise) significantly up.
    So, all in all, I am a bit reluctant about dropping the bench press, but will happily do so if I understood why it is actually not part of this program. Many thanks!

Cheers!

Arthur

That program is for competitive Olympic lifters. If you want to keep benching, do some sets of 5 once every two weeks.

Xuxio, I've been running a butchered version of this program for a few months (interrupted by gym closures) teaching myself the lifts in the process. So far I've just been doing the volume day on both of the oly days (without a max out day or front squats). I do 8 snatch singles and 8 clean and jerk singles with short rests as written. Once I hit 6/8 singles I add 2.5kg the next workout. This has improved my technique and my mobility. I'm up to 105kg on the snatches and 137.5kg for the clean and jerks. Do you have any criticisms/suggestions Rip? I think I'll reset the volume day and start having a max out day soon but is there any reason to start front squatting if I can always stand up from a clean?

Thanks for the explanation Mark. I'll squeeze in a benching session every other week not to let the gains go down the drain.

M S: sounds interesting! I'll give a try to the "strict" program from next week on. I'll let you know how it goes, if it is of any interest to you. For my own interest, where did you start from on your C&J and snatch? And how long did it take you to get where you are now?

Quote Originally Posted by Xuxio View Post
    where did you start from on your C&J and snatch? And how long did it take you to get where you are now?
    I started November last year with some prior experience. I could already clean. Jerk was a disaster. Could hit 120kg inconsistently. Started snatching early this year. I could power what I am doing now, but my mobility and catching lower has gotten vastly better by taking Rip's advice and sitting in an OHS position for a few seconds after each completed snatch and trying to catch each rep lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuxio View Post
    I'll give a try to the "strict" program from next week on.
    As Rip said, the program is for competitive lifters. I don't think a max out day or front squats make sense if you're just starting out. What I have written probably doesn't make sense either for the very beginning. You just need to get reps in, film each rep, adjust and repeat. You'll have to think about the lifts and what makes sense and doesn't because there's a lot of silly advice out there for WL. There's been a few good discussions on this board over the years regarding technique if you search (example: The "other" way to do a clean.), and Rip has videos on the two lifts on the SS youtube page as well.

starting strength coach development program
    I've been lifting on the main powerlifing lifts with the addition of power cleans, which I got up to 90kg for 2 reps at 85kg body weight. DL is 165 for 5 now, but I still have some gas in the tank for that lift.
    But I have no experience with OL lifts. As you say, I might focus on getting one right (most likely the C&J) before adding the snatch in the mix.
    The amount of advice online is a bit overwhelming, and often contradictory when it comes to technique.
    I'm just wondering how to tune the program in my own case... I for sure need to go to a weekly schedule, since linear progression is no longer possible.
    Might do a "simple" Texas method with the addition of C&J on Wednesday, maybe going for 4 sets of 2, and C&J technique (non-traumatic for the muscle) on the heavy day... Just wondering.