starting strength gym

Thread: Coming Back From the Kung Flu House Arrest

Default Coming Back From the Kung Flu House Arrest

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It's been a few weeks since I've gotten back into a gym to recover lost ground resulting from the Kung Flu lockdown in Illinois. Some observations and perhaps lessons learned.

I only could do backpack weighted dips and one legged squats, pullups, and some jerry rigged reverse hyperextensions and lifting picnic tables much like a rack pull to try to maintain my strength levels.

Interestingly, the dips seem to have not only maintained my bench press, but perhaps improved on it. Squats are coming back slowly, but surely. As for deadlifts, fuggeddaboutit. They lost a lot off my best of a 375 single, and I can only get 2 singles (Hepburn style) with 340 now.

What I think the take aways are:

* Dips seem to have a fair carry over to the bench.
    * One legged squats have some utility in preventing too much loss of strength but not a lot.
    * Reverse hypers and picnic table rack pulls are no help at all.
    * When you are creeping up on 70, higher intensity and careful titration of volume really is important.

Any thoughts on this?

I agree about the dips, in the absence of a bench press.

One-legged squats are exquisitely dependent on very healthy knees. Lot's a strong people can't do them.

Ditto reverse hypers and the table.

Old guys need intensity on as little volume as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Mark when does one become classified as an "old guy"? And do you think training three times a week at about 70% is over the top? What I mean is those three days are only composed of dead, squats and press. I don't feel old though, but I do tend to fall asleep in the chair in the evening, is that a sign?

One-legged squats are exquisitely dependent on very healthy knees. Lot's a strong people can't do them.
    Given the damage done to my knee at 19, a complex tear of the medial and lateral meniscus from Judo, I've been lucky. The knee has plagued me for anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks intermittently over the years, but the one legged squats kicked up some objection only once during house arrest.

When you say one legged squats, do you mean pistol squats? I’ve always envied people who can do them, as they look cool, but I think I could get my squat to 3 x body weight and still not feel like I could even get close to doing one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdcuth View Post
    When you say one legged squats, do you mean pistol squats? I’ve always envied people who can do them, as they look cool, but I think I could get my squat to 3 x body weight and still not feel like I could even get close to doing one.
    No, I am too balance challenged to do those. What I did was more of a step-up to a high bench with a weighted back pack.

I'm glad to hear you say that and it's timely as well. I was just saying to a friend the other day that because of my creaky and old back and hips, I need to squat and deadlift while squatting and deadlifting as little as possible.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    I'm glad to hear you say that and it's timely as well. I was just saying to a friend the other day that because of my creaky and old back and hips, I need to squat and deadlift while squatting and deadlifting as little as possible.
    Mine too. I have split my lifting sessions into 4 days with a M-W-F-M (etc.) routine. M: Squats (and other stuff), W: Bench Press (and other stuff), F: Seated Press (and other stuff), M: Deadlifts (and other stuff), then repeat.

This gives my lumbars and hamstrings the recovery time they need. Also, I use a Hepburn routine with lots of singles. It allows me to concentrate on each single rep's form better without the deterioration I have found occurs with me with reps more than 3. Especially where deadlifts are concerned.