starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength and the wardrobe

Default Starting Strength and the wardrobe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dear Mr. Rippetoe,

you didn't tell me that after doing Starting Strength I have to discard my entire wardrobe. When I started i was 6ft3 and around 220lbs, now I am (surprisingly still) 6ft3 and north of 250lbs. I had to throw away all my clothes! Undergarments and tailored shirts included! Although I am pretty pleased with my body, I can only shop at the fat man store! Now what happens if I start doing intermediate programs? I'm really not thrilled about heading up to 300lbs, although as I already mentioned, I can't complain about my physique. Maybe people can share, what they generally do about clothes? I used to be very picky when purchasing, but under these circumstances I might need to change this attitude.

Thanks in advance,
    Kai

You wear "undergarments"?

Think of it as opportunity. Now you can justify the new wardrobe need to comfortably carry concealed.

If serious, then the obvious solution is to stop training.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You don't?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    Think of it as opportunity. Now you can justify the new wardrobe need to comfortably carry concealed.
    Yes, add an inch or 2 to your normal waist size for pants, to accommodate an inside the waistband holster. Maybe shy away from "tactical" pants.

Barbell Logic Podcast episode 318 talks about style for power lifters at length, including recommendations for specific brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    Barbell Logic Podcast episode 318 talks about style for power lifters at length, including recommendations for specific brands.
    I’ve noted this for my next drive to work. Some standard fit clothes look ridiculous on my build. With a sticky out chest and muscular upper back and 11 inch difference between chest and waist, everything untucked looks like a maternity gown and anything tucked has too much of what I think is called blousing.

Plus I’m only 5 foot 11 and the bigger sizes I need for the 220-260 lb bodyweight that I stay between, are scaled in all directions, so they don’t look right.

“Fitted”, “super fitted” and “athletic” cuts don’t work as the arms are too narrow, although I had some great fitting shirts from Tommy Hilfiger which were athletic fit and stretchy although I still had to have an inch an each side seam taken in and an inch taken in at each of two back darts. I got those is NY and not seen them anywhere else since.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes, I recently upgraded from bay leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    If serious, then the obvious solution is to stop training.
    My thoughts exactly, even more so as all these women chasing me, has become a bit of a nightmare.

starting strength coach development program
    LOL it doesn't stop. Im 6'4-5" and my weight keeps moving up. Over the past 7-8 years Ive slowly gone from 220 or so to 275 or so. I'm now 295 and a bit "fluffy" but still have a vein on my bicep and can do chins for reps. So it aint all fat. My chest, shoulder girdle and back width keep expanding. And I'm 50.

JC Penney is a good place for shirts and not very expensive suits. They do have big, fat guy sizes in slimmer cuts, which look pretty good (i.e. not boxy blowsy or goofy) and have a lot of stretch to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast