starting strength gym

Thread: Technique practice on recovery days?

Default Technique practice on recovery days?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been doing SS for a few weeks now. It is a fantastic program, and I feel like I’m getting so much more out of my training. My routine has much more purpose.

My question is about rest days. I really enjoy working out and being in the gym. I understand the importance of recovery days, but I was wondering if it would negatively affect my recovery if I used my off days to work on technique.

If I were to get some 5 lb technique plates, would it be a bad idea to work on the lifts while I’m recovering? I figure a half hour to 45 minutes on my recovery days would be enjoyable and would be a great start to my day, but I don’t want to do it if it would slow my progress.

Is your technique with 55 pounds the same as your technique with work set weights? What would you be practicing?

Well, I would be doing it because I enjoy working out in the morning, not so much to perfect the technique. I guess I’m looking for something to work on in the gym that wouldn’t harm my gains, and I thought that might be something I could do. It doesn’t have to be technique..

I guess a better question is, since I enjoy being in the gym, what can I do on recovery days that will not negatively affect my recovery?

Just go to the gym and play cards.

Gin or Texas hold ‘em?

Haha. I get what you’re saying.

Hit the smoothie bar and get a tan at the pool. That’s what I always used to do.

Nick when the weight gets heavy or at least mentally demanding you will want nothing to do with the barbell on your recovery day. You won’t want to see the bar or even think about it.
    So build good recovery day habits now by resting, eating plenty, and getting e lot of sleep. Read the books. Annoy the wife. Walk the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    Nick when the weight gets heavy or at least mentally demanding you will want nothing to do with the barbell on your recovery day. You won’t want to see the bar or even think about it.
    So build good recovery day habits now by resting, eating plenty, and getting e lot of sleep. Read the books. Annoy the wife. Walk the dog.
    Yes, I am feeling that way today and I welcome the rest!
    It is certainly a change that I will have to get used to, but, really, there is a reason that I switched to strength training. I just wasn't getting the results that I wanted. My programming was all over the place. And even when I came up with a plan, I had to constantly modify it on the fly when the equipment at the gym was taken (by 'taken', most of the time that means that there was a towel on the machine but no one was around.) So, I'm convinced now that a change has to be made and I have to go all in and follow the program. If that means resting, then I'll rest.

Also the more you learn about the Stress -Recovery - Adaption cycle the easier it is to prioritize recovery. When I finally understood how S-R-A works at the cellular level it made it easier.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    Also the more you learn about the Stress -Recovery - Adaption cycle the easier it is to prioritize recovery. When I finally understood how S-R-A works at the cellular level it made it easier.
    I went back and re-read about this. It is making a lot more sense now. Thanks!