starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Social Media Presence??

Default Social Media Presence??

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

How necessary/important would it be to establish a social media presence if I'm wanting to become a Starting Strength Coach?

I live in Albuquerque,New Mexico, and I've seen that there are no SSCs or SS gyms in New Mexico, so I figured I'd have to market myself a little harder if I'd want to be successful.

Thank you for your time, and if this is a stupid-ass question, please feel free to chew my head off haha.

You're marketing as a coach is almost entirely word-of-mouth, IOW your effectiveness as a coach. Social media has become an evil system, and the farther away you are the better.

That’s the question i forgot to ask at the seminar!

Glad to hear it. I can’t be bothered with social media.

I've watched three specialty gyms go under in Santa Fe and that is a perfect demographic for gym, aging population with high income. So i suspect the big issue is education of the market. Two of the three I have used in the past and they had great equipment but were targeting top athletes. From what I see of the market you need to target 40 - 45 and older with above average income. That's pays the bills. The local athletes just provide the volume. I think you can do well in Abq with some direct marketing and education to the groups you want to target. You have a solution to a problem they may or may not know they have, but definitely don't yet know they need it. So get in front of them, make sure they know they have the problem, and then tell them how you can help them. Go out a recruit a full schedule of clients, and then start farming them for who they know that needs help.

My wife asked me a about social media for her business. I told her to stay away, she and I are not in the age demographic for that and even if we were it's a lot of work for questionable results.

I agree entirely with Rip. I've recently ditched all my social media and I've never looked back.

I remember when MySpace was all the rage because you could "code" whatever you wanted on your profile. Only the coolest kids had a badass MySpace.

Then everyone got "mature" and went to Facebook, back when it was only for college students. You could add like 23 second clips of a song to your profile and tell everyone what bands you liked.

Good times.

I have no dog on this fight, but I am curious. Has social media simply become a communications channel to facilitate negative reviews or is this assessment of it driven by something else?

Social media has always been a place where people can pretend that their opinion is both qualified and somehow matters, and the problem with it is that we have come to accept their premise. Twitter and FB are not the real world, and the more time you spend on it the more the illusion of reality soaks into your mind, whether you want it to or not. It taints everything with the viewpoint of its owners/managers, and we are happily playing along. We are the product Tw and FB are selling. It's best not to depend on it.

As a customer, the first place I’d look? The Starting Strength Coaches Directory. A listing there has to be better than any social media presence.

starting strength coach development program
    Social media & YouTube ads and the like make me think "trendy, desperate, cheap... no thanks."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast