starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best conditioning for 50+ year olds intermediate programs if have arthritis in toes

Default Best conditioning for 50+ year olds intermediate programs if have arthritis in toes

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In the starting strength books I've read ("Practical programming for strength training"/"The barbell prescription") the its recommend to use weighted sleds for conditioning during the intermediate programs. I hope this question may be useful for a few others out there if they have similar problems with arthritis.

I am nearly 50+ and will be doing at some point an intermediate program, so have given thought to conditioning. I liked the idea of using a weighted sled but my big toes have bones that are fusing together and cannot bend far back and cause pain if I do. I can do squats/deadlifts/presses without problem as my foot is flat and does not load bear by pushing my toes back (or up). My pediatrist said pulling a sled walking backward could be ok, but not pushing or pulling walking forward. He also advises me against running/sprinting/lunging much.

In my age group and situation what would you next best or next two best ways of conditioning that I could so hopefully for the next 30 years or so?

I have a powerrack, barbells, plates, bench, lifting platform etc

Thanks for your input.

The next best thing is the C2 Rower. Shouldn't bother your feet.

I endorse the Schwin Airdyne (I own one), or rouge equivalent. They are not superior to a C2 but they are available. Very well built.

I have an airdyne in my weight room and do a HIIT and can be done in about 7 minutes

It works great And is really simple to learn but it’s a tough 7 minutes. I hate doing cardio so I’d rather suffer and get it over with

You can download an app called bit timer on your phone that is real functional for this

I’m 68

I also have a waterrower which is really nice because it’s very quiet and gives you a good workout if your the type that likes to go for a 1/2 hr

Thanks, that Concept 2 rower seems a good idea

Those are both great ideas, thanks mate

Thanks Barry

Some other ideas which can be done in HIIT style with 20-30 second active intervals interspersed with 1-2 minute "active rest" intervals consisting of walking around to keep moving.

Medicine ball tosses; speed bag strikes; kettlebell swings; clap push ups; medicine ball slams; heavy bag hand, knee, and foot strikes; box jumps (although if you land on your the balls of your feet it might aggravate your toes).

I do these 1-2 times a week with other stuff and it keeps my average heart rate up around 80% of my maximum heart rate. Which may be a function of my advanced years since I'll be 70 in a month or so.

Also, I kayak on the lakes where I live.

Thanks Mark

starting strength coach development program
    The next best thing is the C2 Rower. Shouldn't bother your feet.
    Yep, it's a nice one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast