starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strength in Golf

Default Strength in Golf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just wondered if you have any thoughts on Bryson DeChambeu's alleged strength training and weight gain (up to 220 from 190) over lockdown and the impact it's had on his game and golf in general? I wonder how many college golf programmes will be adding strength training to their regime.

Personally I think he looks a little heavy but in a sport that only requires occasional explosive movements and very little cardiovascular involvement maybe it's the right way to go. However, this might be the tipping point for professionals being required to use weighted balls as it's tough to defend against this amount of power.

I think Tiger resolved that a long time ago. He was the first one that I remember talking about strength in the gym relates to strokes on the course. If you look at the long drive competitors they are all seriously jacked guys.

Gary Player was on the strength/fitness wagon long before Tiger. He did add some distance, though was a relatively small guy. For the long drivers look back at Jason Zuback.

The common perception is that adding strength caused players to lose their touch for short game shots. Personally, I agree that it could cause them to play some shots too hard until they adjust i.e. strength and practice are two different things.

I jsut wish Bryson had done this without a whole bunch of isolation muscle activation hooha. I still think there is a lot for golfers to learn from discus throwers.

Yep! Tiger is IMO the most influential golfer of our lifetimes re shaping the direction of golf. I VIVIDLY remember fatasses like Fuzzy Zueller claiming golf was more about technique than strength. Tiger comes along and soon the golf courses are having to lengthen courses thx primarily to Tiger and his influence on golfers getting stronger. They had to adapt or become extinct. Sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    Gary Player was on the strength/fitness wagon long before Tiger. He did add some distance, though was a relatively small guy. For the long drivers look back at Jason Zuback.

The common perception is that adding strength caused players to lose their touch for short game shots. Personally, I agree that it could cause them to play some shots too hard until they adjust i.e. strength and practice are two different things.

I jsut wish Bryson had done this without a whole bunch of isolation muscle activation hooha. I still think there is a lot for golfers to learn from discus throwers.
    I feel like this another step on from Gary Player and Tiger Woods, they both added general fitness and mobility which obviously included strength but I feel Brandon's approach is something that could be more easily replicated with training. The modern swing is about keeping the arms quite, holding the club face and rotating with the body which has plenty of cross over to the barbell exercises.

Thanks for the links to previous articles Rip.

I was on a college golf team in the early 1990s. We had to work out three days a week. The schools trainer had a program for us. And this was a small NAIA school. OSU has had their golf team working out with the football players since the 1980s.

Tiger Woods made it more popular. But he didn’t start it. Have you not seen Brooks Koepka?

The biggest difference, IMO, is that Bryson is explicitly targeting increased strength and mass for increased distance to the point of getting a dominant advantage. Most others have not been that explicit or more focused on strength for injury prevention or to be able to hit different shots or out of thick rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianmcg View Post
    ... Have you not seen Brooks Koepka?
    On the other hand, have you seen Ricky Fowler?

starting strength coach development program
    Tiger’s approach to training should be a cautionary tale for today’s pro golfers, not an example to follow. All of these guys are doing high rep work and too many “isolation” exercises. Golf at their level requires a tremendous amount of repetitions. Eventually even their genetically gifted bodies will wear out, just like Tiger’s did (he was a big runner way back then as well). Given the potential for a 30 year career as a professional athlete, the concept of “minimum effective dose” is of highest value to golfers.

Hopefully Bryson will figure it out. He does have a physics degree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast