starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Andrew Lewis: Train BJJ By Getting Strong

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    These quotes are rife with a big problem in the jiu jitsu community - the English language. Many teachers and practitioners do not express their opinions in a straight-forward and technically accurate way. "Pressure", "strength", "power", etc get thrown around with the assumption of what they mean, and the speaker is usually using them wrong.

The martial arts community, in general, uses a lot of metaphor when metaphor is not just unnecessary but actually causes confusion. A teacher who is succinct, straight-forward, avoids metaphor, and teaches not just techniques, but concepts and priorities, is much better than the teachers spewing useless metaphors like "be like water".
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    These quotes are rife with a big problem in the jiu jitsu community - the English language. Many teachers and practitioners do not express their opinions in a straight-forward and technically accurate way. "Pressure", "strength", "power", etc get thrown around with the assumption of what they mean, and the speaker is usually using them wrong.
    Yeah, I get that about lost in translation. His (current) Holiness Pope Benedict has had his words mistranslated a time or two from the Italian to English with the result of the Holy See having to correct what the reporter or translator WANTED him to say.

That's why I have used specific Judo terms to describe some throws and other techniques. It's like Latin in the Church and in medicine, you go back to the source language and compare the term to the technique (in this specific instance) and it leaves little room for confusion.

Yet having done that, at least one most notable person on this site, and a few others have accused me of being wordy and pretentious. But your point is well taken.

The martial arts community, in general, uses a lot of metaphor when metaphor is not just unnecessary but actually causes confusion. A teacher who is succinct, straight-forward, avoids metaphor, and teaches not just techniques, but concepts and priorities, is much better than the teachers spewing useless metaphors like "be like water".
    A metaphor such as you describe is not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself. But if the idea or concept or technique it represents is not explained in a language clear enough for the listener or student to understand, than it is merely mannered blah-blah-blah. Kind of like when McCallum in The Keys to Progress said to get a good muscular rebound for the press behind the neck. I never quite figured out what he meant by that. But I suspect it was something along the lines of what is very well described for the eccentric portion of the squat in Starting Strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    That's why I have used specific Judo terms to describe some throws and other techniques. It's like Latin in the Church and in medicine, you go back to the source language and compare the term to the technique (in this specific instance) and it leaves little room for confusion.
    I don't think the source language is necessarily the best way to express a claim. Communication is a two-way street, and you will communicate better if you speak in a way your audience understand the language. For a Judo practitioner, the Japanese names will probably be the most effective way to communicate, but this won't always be the case. I like the Japanese names in judo a lot, because they explain a large part of the movement. But wrestlers have totally different names for the same movements. Knowing these would be helpful when talking to wrestler.

Yet having done that, at least one most notable person on this site, and a few others have accused me of being wordy and pretentious. But your point is well taken.
    Sometimes smart people are wrong.

A metaphor such as you describe is not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself. But if the idea or concept or technique it represents is not explained in a language clear enough for the listener or student to understand, than it is merely mannered blah-blah-blah. Kind of like when McCallum in The Keys to Progress said to get a good muscular rebound for the press behind the neck. I never quite figured out what he meant by that. But I suspect it was something along the lines of what is very well described for the eccentric portion of the squat in Starting Strength.
    I think metaphor is a poor way to communicate. It should only be used when no direct explanation is presently clear or perhaps if the direct explanation is not sufficiently evocative. The "chain on your pants" example from SS:BBT is extremely evocative, for example.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    I don't think the source language is necessarily the best way to express a claim. Communication is a two-way street, and you will communicate better if you speak in a way your audience understand the language. For a Judo practitioner, the Japanese names will probably be the most effective way to communicate, but this won't always be the case. I like the Japanese names in judo a lot, because they explain a large part of the movement. But wrestlers have totally different names for the same movements. Knowing these would be helpful when talking to wrestler.
    I guess it depends on the mode of communication and the nature and mix of audience with whom you are communicating. My example is predicated on communicating by way of the internet. In short, just here on this site. I don't have these type of communications with others in person other than when I was learning and practicing in the dojo I was trained in and now (if The Powers that Be loosen the reins) when and where I teach students myself. Thus far, the only people I have taught have had a background in anything but the striking arts, no wrestlers though. So that hasn't emerged as an issue in finding some common language.

When I communicate here, I have two choices in how to convey my points regarding the type of Jujitsu I practice and teach. The first is a detailed step by step explanation and description of the technique and hope that I have done so adequately. So far when I have done that, I don't recall having responses of "huh?" which required some follow up to clarify. The second is to resort to referring to a Judo technique similar enough to pass muster. That allows anyone who cares to google it.

I think metaphor is a poor way to communicate. It should only be used when no direct explanation is presently clear or perhaps if the direct explanation is not sufficiently evocative. The "chain on your pants" example from SS:BBT is extremely evocative, for example.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on metaphors, at least in part. I agree that if you use metaphors the way traditional Asian martial arts are wont to do, without any further details, you are doing a disservice to at least some if not all of those you think you have been communicating with. This old school method assumes that if you aren't sharp enough to grasp pebble right away (glasshoppah) you are unworthy, or it will come to you in flash of revelation later as you have learned and experienced more.

OTOH, giving a full and complete explanation of the concept or technique involved and then providing a pithy, if colorful, phrase to tag it with can help it stick in the mind of the person you are communicating with.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123