starting strength gym

Thread: Kirk Karwoski: 20 Seconds

Default Kirk Karwoski: 20 Seconds

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

It's not twenty seconds for me. I've gotten rather adept at persuading myself that I'll make a lift but I've started to become afraid of the lift itself. I'm just about to cross into the 500s for my squat 5s and it fucking sucks, man. Trying to summon that sort of mental readiness and fortitude to do it after a lethargic day at my desk has devolved into a histrionic stalk-the-rack-back-and-forth-muttering-bullshit-under-my-breath drama production. I just don't want to experience the set itself and doing this little dance beforehand is one part trying to psych myself up and another part procrastination.

My question is this: has anyone ever found themselves devolving into becoming increasingly dramatic? Have you found an effective way to curb that behavior? I don't think I have it in me to just calmly pick up the next set from the rack but I have this sneaking suspicion that all this drama isn't making the bar any lighter. On my post-gym-closure-covid-reset I started out calm and quiet, but the the bar got heavier bit-by-bit and I found being a bit louder and more dramatic each time made the lift more approachable and it devolved from there.

Good question. It happens quite a bit, and more commonly after an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    It's not twenty seconds for me. I've gotten rather adept at persuading myself that I'll make a lift but I've started to become afraid of the lift itself. I'm just about to cross into the 500s for my squat 5s and it fucking sucks, man. Trying to summon that sort of mental readiness and fortitude to do it after a lethargic day at my desk has devolved into a histrionic stalk-the-rack-back-and-forth-muttering-bullshit-under-my-breath drama production. I just don't want to experience the set itself and doing this little dance beforehand is one part trying to psych myself up and another part procrastination.

My question is this: has anyone ever found themselves devolving into becoming increasingly dramatic? Have you found an effective way to curb that behavior? I don't think I have it in me to just calmly pick up the next set from the rack but I have this sneaking suspicion that all this drama isn't making the bar any lighter. On my post-gym-closure-covid-reset I started out calm and quiet, but the the bar got heavier bit-by-bit and I found being a bit louder and more dramatic each time made the lift more approachable and it devolved from there.
    Wouldn't call it "devolving".

I've fully embraced grunting and just generally making as much noise as possible. Old ex-gf thought it was weird to grunt while working out, but honestly vocalizing helps get my spirit flowing. Who cares if I sound like a freak when I'm squatting more than 90% of the people at my gym?

I think there's a reason martial arts people do the "hi-ya!" when using their karate chop action.