starting strength gym

Thread: Mechanics of the Bicep Curl

Default Mechanics of the Bicep Curl

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip,

Quick question

Since the bicep aids shoulder flexion, should a correctly done bicep curl end with the lifter pointing his completely flexed elbow at the wall in front of him? In other words, should the lifter first flex his elbow as is done in all bicep curls but then end the movement by rotating at the shoulders so that the elbow point forward instead of down? This would of course also add the front delts to the movement while allowing the biceps to be worked over a longer range of motion.

Just considering the number of people I know who include bicep curls in their regular workouts and have ruptured biceps tendons both proximal and distal (not on the same person) I eliminated that exercise years ago. But I'm just an old guy who wants his tendons intact.

The blue book's barbell curl technique includes a measure of shoulder flexion. I think the problem with full shoulder flexion is when you aim to point elbows at the wall as you said, you end up reducing the effective range of motion because as your elbows move further up away from your body, the elbow flexion component of the curl no longer is experiencing much resistance. Once your forearm is perpendicular to the floor, any elbow flexion past that point isn't experiencing any resistance at all on the biceps, it actually becomes eccentric contraction of the triceps. If you instead decide to do the elbow flexion entirely first, then the bar is already at the shoulder, and there is no moment arm (and no substantial resistance) for the shoulder flexion. I've wondered if there's a way to reverse the lying triceps extension movement to create a more ideal curl, but the fact is it'd require specific equipment and curls just aren't that fucking important to bother. I only do them along with the LTEs because I find it keeps my elbow joints more tight and stable.

Goddammit you fucking nerds. Im so sick of this ANALytical ANALysing of every fucking detail. Do your fucking curls with a straight bar and squeeze at the top. Elbow will point where it needs to. Make sure to do your chins and do your deadlifts and your arms will be strong.

shame on me for not checking the blue book first. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Goddammit you fucking nerds. Im so sick of this ANALytical ANALysing of every fucking detail. Do your fucking curls with a straight bar and squeeze at the top. Elbow will point where it needs to. Make sure to do your chins and do your deadlifts and your arms will be strong.
    Yeah, it's almost like these nerds read a book with entire chapters each devoted to how to perform an entire lift and why. Fucking nerds.

Fat tends to post after he starts drinking.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Fat tends to post after he starts drinking.
    No harm done. I just felt like being sarcastic.