starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Stop A Goodmorning Squat - Starting Strength Radio Clips

Default How To Stop A Goodmorning Squat - Starting Strength Radio Clips

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Patience, Rip, patience. I know this has been covered before, buy we all need your ever-evolving widsom to guide us. MY own 14 year old is struggling with this very problem and I am low on ideas on how to guide him.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Patience, Rip, patience. I know this has been covered before, buy we all need your ever-evolving widsom to guide us. MY own 14 year old is struggling with this very problem and I am low on ideas on how to guide him.
    I have this issue, and Pete (my SSC virtual coach) has told me to keep the knees out/groin muscles tight, and that will be a solution for me.

Maybe I'm more leaned over than the people having this issue -- but I do not understand how someone can squat heavy with this problem. If I'm doing a grindy rep and I slightly shift my hips up, I can feel the bar about to roll forward onto my neck and it is terrifying. So I do not let my hips come up and I bail the rep if I have to.

I generally struggle with determining if I'm good-morning-squatting, or just low bar squatting correctly. Prior to finding SS I always did high bar or front squats. So when I watch videos of me low bar squatting, my gut reaction is that I'm stripper squatting.

But in reality, my torso angle just doesn't change until halfway up. I think it follows the same pattern on the way down (where I'm bending over mostly in the top half of the movement). Is this... A problem? Or just a quirk of low bar squatting?

FWIW it looks pretty similar to the SS "how to squat" video, where I think what I'm talking about is pretty exaggerated:
    Learning to Squat | The Starting Strength Method - YouTube

I've messed up once or twice where my butt came up before my chest and I thought I was going to fold in half and/or die. So I know that isn't right.

Video?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Video?
    July 18, 2020 - YouTube

Thanks sir.
    Looking at it with my "holy crap Rip might watch this" eyes I can see that I could probably do a better job with keeping chest moving along with hips....

The only thing wrong with this squat is that you're not standing up all the way at the top. This squat shows absolutely proper hip drive. Some horizontal change in back angle will occur if the drive up is initiated with your ass, and this is just the math. It is absolutely necessary, as long as it does not become so excessive that it shoves the bar too forward as it occurs.

Awesome, thank you.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    July 18, 2020 - YouTube

Thanks sir.
    Looking at it with my "holy crap Rip might watch this" eyes I can see that I could probably do a better job with keeping chest moving along with hips....
    This is what all my squats look like, also. Recently I have started taking a narrower grab and really jamming my humerus against my rib cage to create a tighter upper body. This might help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast