starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Combat Boots

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayrsson View Post
    One problem with tall boots like those, is a lack of ankle flexion when they're laced-up. I'd recommend only lacing them to the ankle, or you're going to have trouble moving your knee out over your foot when you squat.
    Agreed and seconded. Also, these soles and heels look very squishy. The military hasn't fully gotten Rip's memos on strength and the dopiness of jogging, so Im sure these boots are designed for jogging.

Can the OP borrow a pair of his daddy's dress shoes? A pair of leather soled, wood heeled block laceups would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrsson View Post
    One problem with tall boots like those, is a lack of ankle flexion when they're laced-up. I'd recommend only lacing them to the ankle, or you're going to have trouble moving your knee out over your foot when you squat.
    Thank you. They look good, but are hard to break in. I squatted in them today, but I didn稚 really notice that problem in particular. I知 still trying to work on my technique, so I知 obsessing and analyzing every part of the movement. I値l try lacing them lower and see how that feels. They did, however, make my squat feel more solid.

I'm not familiar with the current line of combat boots, but the older ones were not squishy at all. And as far as ankle mobility I squatted in Corcoran jump boots with the field soles up until I got my lifters, and it was not an issue, at all. The benefit of lifters, of course, is the metatarsal strap, and also the flat outsole which has more floor contact than a boot like this.

But my experience is that yes, they are better than chucks or running shoes. Lifters are still better.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Agreed and seconded. Also, these soles and heels look very squishy. The military hasn't fully gotten Rip's memos on strength and the dopiness of jogging, so Im sure these boots are designed for jogging.

Can the OP borrow a pair of his daddy's dress shoes? A pair of leather soled, wood heeled block laceups would be better.
    Military issued boots are pretty solid in the heel. It痴 the different ones that you can buy from various retailers that are more like tennis shoes. I知 in the infantry. These suckers can hold up pretty well under a heavy load.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    I'm not familiar with the current line of combat boots, but the older ones were not squishy at all. And as far as ankle mobility I squatted in Corcoran jump boots with the field soles up until I got my lifters, and it was not an issue, at all. The benefit of lifters, of course, is the metatarsal strap, and also the flat outsole which has more floor contact than a boot like this.

But my experience is that yes, they are better than chucks or running shoes. Lifters are still better.
    Yeah, I definitely plan on getting lifters as soon as I can.

It's easy to shift your weight to the toes in combat boots. The soles rock at the balls of the feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh1012 View Post
    Military issued boots are pretty solid in the heel. It’s the different ones that you can buy from various retailers that are more like tennis shoes. I’m in the infantry. These suckers can hold up pretty well under a heavy load.
    Lace them up to the very last hole on the top of your foot (stay short of lacing them up where the laces cross the anterior ankle), then wrap the excess lace around the bottom of your boots and pull the excess in tight towards the heel. Tie the laces on top of your foot. This will provide some semblance of stability side to side in the boot and function like a poor man's metatarsal strap you see on lifters. I've had to use this set-up many times in the last 10 years of Army service. It isn't optimal, but it gets the job done.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you. I値l have to try that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12