starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Need To Rest Between Sets, But How Long? - Starting Strength Radio Clips

Default You Need To Rest Between Sets, But How Long? - Starting Strength Radio Clips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

A wise man once said at a Starting Strength seminar in North Carolina, "Reducing rest is not doing the program. If your intention is to reach some nirvana as you flit through the glycemic ether as a result of oxygen deprivation, then have at it. If your intention is to get incrementally stronger - get your fuckin rest and do the program". Poetry . . . .

Does this also apply to Reverse Leaping Axe Choppers?

Where do you draw the line on the other end of the spectrum? 10 minutes? 15 minutes?

I've found anything over 10 minutes is a waste of time but I'm only squatting in the mid 300s for 5.

Ahhhhhhh . . I love the smell of iron induced sarcasm . . great to be back . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    Where do you draw the line on the other end of the spectrum? 10 minutes? 15 minutes?
    Straight from the book, man. Don't rest too long or you will die.

Is this the most recent edition you've got?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    I ask this at the risk of drawing out Mark's legendary patience with and tolerance of pussies and morons.

I totally understand the transition of moving from strength training to cardio by shifting to rest periods that are too short. However, I still don't know when a rest is "too long". When is it counterproductive, unnecessary, or generally useless? I know that competitive lifters training at very advanced levels will put 10 or 15 minutes between singles during a work-out. What about for us intermediate duffers? If I waited an hour, wouldn't every set seem like set number one if I could do even one set of five at that weight?

Is the test of how long to wait simply the time it takes until you're breathing normally? Is the test simply the minimum rest time you need to complete all sets regardless of how long that takes?

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    When is it counterproductive, unnecessary, or generally useless?
    When you're cold.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    If I waited an hour, wouldn't every set seem like set number one if I could do even one set of five at that weight?
    Nope. It would feel like hammered shit to walk up and try to do it not warmed up.

No intelligent person jumps from ~5 min rest to 20 min rest, instead the interval is gradually tested out over time and adjusted based on actual performance.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    When you're cold.

Nope. It would feel like hammered shit to walk up and try to do it not warmed up.

No intelligent person jumps from ~5 min rest to 20 min rest, instead the interval is gradually tested out over time and adjusted based on actual performance.
    Why in the fuck did it take 52 years for me to hear the poetry of the words, "It would feel like hammered shit". I'd have been using that one long time . . lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast