starting strength gym

Thread: Laser Cut plate weights

Default Laser Cut plate weights

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark
    I currently see a number of companies in the UK advertising laser cut 20mm thick plates for either 1" or 2" bars. What is your opinion on 20kg,10kg,5kg completely smooth plates? Obviously any weights is better than no weights. But should I consider purchasing them to continue progressing or should I wait for cast plates to come back on the market? See link below
    7FT OLYMPIC BAR & FULL SET | PRO PLATES
    Thank you for your insights
    Mark

The bar is junk, and plates with no handling lip are dangerous to floors and feet.

I bought a load of 1.25 and and 2.5 kg laser-cut mild steel plates for my olympic dumbbell handles from Watson Equipment, and I can only echo what Rip said. Plus, they are sharp as hell and uncomfortable to handle, which could be remedied with a file if I only had a few heavier plates, but I have 105 kg worth of these suckers so it won't ever get done.

I would not want to handle 20kg 450mm diameter slick, laser-cut plates. Wait for the cast iron to become available again or get bumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkAllen View Post
    Hi Mark
    I currently see a number of companies in the UK advertising laser cut 20mm thick plates for either 1" or 2" bars. What is your opinion on 20kg,10kg,5kg completely smooth plates? Obviously any weights is better than no weights. But should I consider purchasing them to continue progressing or should I wait for cast plates to come back on the market? See link below
    7FT OLYMPIC BAR & FULL SET | PRO PLATES
    Thank you for your insights
    Mark
    "Olympic bar... Material S275 MILD STEEL."
    Please don't buy this. It's made of structural steel. This is like a third of the strength of a proper barbell.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    "Olympic bar... Material S275 MILD STEEL."
    Please don't buy this. It's made of structural steel. This is like a third of the strength of a proper barbell.
    And.... the bar is stress tested to 250kg. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    And.... the bar is stress tested to 250kg. Lol
    I bet if you leave it loaded with 135 overnight you'll have a Duffalo bar come morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaimi Kuenzli View Post
    I bet if you leave it loaded with 135 overnight you'll have a Duffalo bar come morning.
    Steel doesn't creep. If it becomes a Duffalo bar, it will be a Duffalo bar as soon as it's bent.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Steel doesn't creep. If it becomes a Duffalo bar, it will be a Duffalo bar as soon as it's bent.
    My brother bought his kid a big box set of weights a few years back. The bar was absolute shit but he was limited to the 400# of weights he owned. He is stuck at home due to college being shut down for the corona so I loaned him a couple pair of 45s. He was jazzed and hurried home for a heavy squat session. He loaded up 450# and the bar bent like banana on the first set. I ordered a SS bar for myself and let him have my TPB. I also gave him a shirt that reads "if the bar ain't bending you're just pretending". I'm definitely his favorite uncle.