starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Made In USA Cast Iron Plates -- Pre Order Now, Shipping Late August

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Awesome. If this were available here, I'd have bought a set.

They are actually cheaper than the DIY laser-cut mild steel plates people are selling on Ebay over here!

Was it a very expensive process to get your patterns made? Did the foundry who cast and machine your plates also make the patterns?

Yes that is the tolerance.

very good rates from UPS due to the volume of heavy items we ship. Shipping is all a weight x distance game. And well, we're selling heavy weights...

I do Power Racks in runs of 20, I have 3 in inventory right now -- 20 more in production. I would buy the SS bar, it's way better than the bars I'm purchasing at wholesale here in CA. If you're waiting on plates anyway, might as well go ahead and get the bar ordered.

Laser cut steel plates are dangerous. Nothing to hold. Very expensive process, and very intensive. The foundry did the patterns and the casting. Machined by one of their normal vendors. (They are automotive primarily).

That's really cool. Respect for seizing the opportunity and I hope you make a ton, which I think you will when the second wave lock-downs start up... just prior to Nov 4th, obviously!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Shipping cost is pretty significant (despite the fact that it looks like you're getting a pretty decent rate from UPS).
    $1005 plates + $642.97 shipping to Pennsylvania = $1647.97

Ugh goddamn California.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrfunk View Post
    $1005 plates + $642.97 shipping to Pennsylvania = $1647.97

Ugh goddamn California.
    email me grant@thestrength.co I'll do a freight quote for you.

Default Update on Plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Broggi View Post
    Attachment 7390Attachment 7391Attachment 7392Attachment 7393Attachment 7394

For those interested these are called patterns. The patterns are put on the end of rams and then pushed together to compact sand -- making the the mold. Iron is then poured in and then the sand removed making the casting. The casting is then sent to machining where the OD and ID are machined to ensure proper dimensions as well as weight accuracy. These plates will have a tighter ID than anything currently on the market. At the suggestion of Rip the ID will be 1.99 (+/- 0.2). Most plates on the market have an ID of 2.02 - 2.10, avg bar sleeve is 1.95. These plates will have far less "slop" and a much tighter fit then what you're used to. The machining of the plates drives the price up but makes for a much better product.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7402unknown.jpg

Update: samples for 45s and 25s were cast on Friday. Weight was dead on. 45 was at 46.1 (pre machining) and 25 was at 25.9 (pre machining). Which means these things are going to be dead on the money. I was unhappy with the width of the face of the lip on the 45 as I thought it was too wide 1.8".

Minimal adjustments to tooling can be made without re-tooling the whole thing but there is some room. We raised the web (face of the inside of the dish) an eight of an inch. This brought the lip face down to 1.29 (much more manageable) and we only went form 1" to 0.9 on the lip depth.

Those tooling adjustments will be made on Monday and re cast on Tuesday. If all goes well long term we may re-tool that and get the face of the lip down even more. But everyone needs product right now and the pre sales are flying. Everything else is turning out just fine. I will fly out to WI next week for the casting of 10s, 5s , 2.5s. Lot goes into this -- and were moving as fast as we can.

Photo 1 is the actual casting with the wide lip. Photo 2 is the rendering after the adjustments were made.
    Attached Images Attached Images

starting strength coach development program
    Excellent! Order placed, thanks Grant. And the race is on — I ordered a TX Power Bar in early May that should be here between now and then.

Building our home gym was our #1 priority going into 2020 once we finished with our snowboarding season. Well, we all know how well those worked out...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast