starting strength gym

Thread: pre-PR mild "depression?

Default pre-PR mild "depression?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Strange experience today, before each set of PR squats (3x2). It was early evening, around 7pm, I had enough sleep, food, and liquids (water + coffee) yet felt sleepy between sets. It was after a busy day of work. Yet there was something like a mental de-pression, and not simple fatigue, as I faced the bar. I could've gone to sleep immediately if I had laid down. The reason I don't think it was accumulated fatigue from the day is that the feeling evaporated after I completed the squats. The bench and chins were a much smaller challenge than the squats.

I don't have a history of depression, so can't compare this event to such past experience. But theoretically, it seemed that way. Like facing a large forbidding obstacle, where your body just wants to stop.

Or maybe I was just bored.

Anyone else with similar experience?

I deal with it every time I train. Never thought it was worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I deal with it every time I train. Never thought it was worth mentioning.
    I just need my feelings validated. I can sleep now.

Nite.

I train in the afternoons mostly, and on those days look forward to training all day. Immediately before beginning training, however, and then when I get a heavy barbell in my hands or on my back, I tend to question all the life choices that have led me to this point, and wonder if lifting heavy is really in fact necessary for someone of my age, situation, etc., blah blah blah. Then I do the lift, and then I feel better. I think many people probably experience a version of this. Like when Rip says that deadlifts train the mind to do things that are hard, this is the kind of thing I think he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    I train in the afternoons mostly, and on those days look forward to training all day. Immediately before beginning training, however, and then when I get a heavy barbell in my hands or on my back, I tend to question all the life choices that have led me to this point, and wonder if lifting heavy is really in fact necessary for someone of my age, situation, etc., blah blah blah. Then I do the lift, and then I feel better. I think many people probably experience a version of this. Like when Rip says that deadlifts train the mind to do things that are hard, this is the kind of thing I think he is talking about.
    Yea. There’s this creature on my left shoulder that tells me that it wouldn’t hurt to quit lifting. Must not listen closely; no sympathy for the devil.

I start yawning on the way to the gym. I think we are programmed not to SEEK extra physical endeavour as in our ancestry essential physical endeavour (killing a bison, fighting, carrying heavy loads 6 miles) were not far away. That could be bollocks though and I could just be a lazy slob.

starting strength coach development program
    I totally agree. I know that I will question if what I am doing is worth it before every heavy deadlift or squat workout, however, after it is over the feelings of euphoria trump all of those questions and I feel on top of the world. It also extends to the next day. If I could recover and squat heavy every day I would definitely do that in some capacity.