starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why The Prowler And Not HIIT? - Starting Strength Radio Clips

Default Why The Prowler And Not HIIT? - Starting Strength Radio Clips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

I'm intrigued by the statement that conditioning is always exercise, never training. Surely aerobic fitness can be trained via prowler (or running for those inclined that way)!

Is this a bit of exaggeration from frustration with so many people adding too much silly bullshit instead of getting under the bar? Or is the point that, for example, to do more pushups there is more benefit from increasing your bench than just doing push ups?

Training for an endurance sport is actually training, not exercising, since the goal is to drop your time over the training period. Conditioning is a completely different thing, and is accomplished by performing sufficient endurance work periodically to stress the recovery from an elevated HR/RR, and can be the same thing every time while still providing the conditioning stimulus.

I'm confused. Isn't a prowler a type of HIIT? I've read about how they're the superior HIIT exercise because they're so repeatable and intense and, like you said, infinitely loadable.

If you don't use them in a typical HIIT protocol, how do you use them?

I am kind of intrigued by the prowler and other sleds. How can these be used by the garage gym guys? Can I get these on the street and push it around my neighborhood? Will the rails get scraped up? Will the road get scraped up? Am I going to wake up my neighbors pushing a prowler down the street at 6 am? Is the length of a typical garage long enough to get the benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    I'm confused. Isn't a prowler a type of HIIT? I've read about how they're the superior HIIT exercise because they're so repeatable and intense and, like you said, infinitely loadable.

If you don't use them in a typical HIIT protocol, how do you use them?
    You titrate up to a weight and distance that gets the conditioning ob done, and use it weekly at that level. It won't continue to improve like your lifts, and it's serving it's purpose even if it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
    I am kind of intrigued by the prowler and other sleds. How can these be used by the garage gym guys? Can I get these on the street and push it around my neighborhood? Will the rails get scraped up? Will the road get scraped up? Am I going to wake up my neighbors pushing a prowler down the street at 6 am? Is the length of a typical garage long enough to get the benefits?
    You need a flat level piece of pavement at least 30 yards long. The skids will get scraped up, and you'll have to replace them every 8-10 years. The pavement will get polished. The neighbors will not appreciate this at 6am.

Do prowlers work on mowed grass assuming no gopher holes?

Prowlers are very hard on grass and dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    Do prowlers work on mowed grass assuming no gopher holes?
    Maybe an old-fashioned lawn mower is your answer :-)

starting strength coach development program
    Could pushing or pulling a car/van be a viable substitute for a prowler, assuming the parking lot is flat?

When the lockdown started, I did this every three/four days pushing our van, and pulling with a rope said van. It sucked.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast