starting strength gym

Thread: Question on Afrin

Default Question on Afrin

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Only tangentially related to lifting, but I remember you mentioning Afrin for helping overcome sleep issues related to shut nasal passages. My girlfriend has small nasal passages that are usually too constricted to be of much use, and it really fucks with her sleep, so I recommended she try it. She reported it was a huge help, but then her mom )a nurse) visited and saw the stuff by her bed and warned her it was "addictive". I looked up about the phenomenon myself, and I'm curious, what has your experience been with this "rebound congestion" effect that's described? Have you encountered it at all?

I've been using it for 35 years, and I've never had any problems with it at all since I ONLY use it at night. And if I had, the equation would be evaluating the problems against the ability to sleep. Furthermore, I know of no one who ever had to knock over a liquor store to meet their oxymetazoline habit. That shit is just what nurses are taught to say in nursing school, along with "squats are bad for the knees" and "you'll catch cold if you go outside in the winter."

Yeah, I figured it was an overscare, I was just curious as a longtime user if you ran into the issue at all. I'll try and convince her to keep using it before bed and that it shouldn't be an issue if you only use it then. Thanks.

Since I discovered it a few years ago, Afrin has changed my life in terms of sleep quality. Not trying to sound dramatic; it’s really been a significant improvement. My wife, also a nurse, has warned me about rebound congestion as well.

I have noticed that I only experience severe congestion at night before bed. But I had this before I started using Afrin. So even if it was a concern, I don’t think I could distinguish cause from effect if I were to stop.

1 spray per nostril every night has worked for me, and is half the recommended dose. Maybe just start her on a similar dose. I also follow it up with Saline spray and Fluticasone every morning.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I've been using it for 35 years, and I've never had any problems with it at all since I ONLY use it at night. And if I had, the equation would be evaluating the problems against the ability to sleep. Furthermore, I know of no one who ever had to knock over a liquor store to meet their oxymetazoline habit. That shit is just what nurses are taught to say in nursing school, along with "squats are bad for the knees" and "you'll catch cold if you go outside in the winter."
    I keep a bottle of Afrin in the medicine cabinet for when I cut myself shaving and for when one of the kids has a nosebleed. I wonder how addictive it is in these uses. Perhaps I’m creating the next generations super criminals by exposing them to such an addictive and life disrupting drug like oxymetazoline.