starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Correcting my wife’s squat form

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You could try looping a band around the back of her knees and around a rack upright, applying tension "forward" on the back of her knees.
    Described a bit more in this article: Article - CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness

You can also do leg extensions with a band looped around ankle and bench leg for knee strengthening.

If all else fails, working on a pistol squat progression (holding onto something, onto a chair, then remove chair) is at least more interesting than normal air squats.

No, Elle, you can't.

1. She has to learn to produce the movement herself, and external assistance keeps this from happening. Rather, she must be coached effectively.

2. Knees are not strong or weak. Muscles are strong or weak. And muscles strengthened outside the movement pattern they must work within do not function properly in the context of that movement pattern, in addition to the fact that the correctly performed movement pattern loads the all muscles within that kinetic chain in direct proportion to their anatomical role in the movement pattern. Corrective exercises are a waste of time -- this is Physical Therapy-think.

3. One-legged squats are very hard on most people's knees. When I was squatting 600 I could not do "pistol" squats. The "interest" level of an exercise is irrelevant. And a woman who cannot squat her own bodyweight below parallel correctly cannot do a pistol squat anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    So, finally I got her to hold onto some straps for balance and she began to hit depth. She can only do so when holding the straps or she just falls over backwards.
    Can she squat down on her toes? This just sounds like someone without great dorsiflexion trying to squat too upright with their knees and feet not pushed out enough. Or, like a fat weak person.

Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    Can she squat down on her toes? This just sounds like someone without great dorsiflexion trying to squat too upright with their knees and feet not pushed out enough. Or, like a fat weak person.
    Not even on her toes. She is just too weak at the bottom of the squat. I think it’s that simple. Trust me, she is anything but ‘too upright’ when she squats, she looks like she is intentionally doing a Good Morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No, Elle, you can't.

1. She has to learn to produce the movement herself, and external assistance keeps this from happening. Rather, she must be coached effectively.

2. Knees are not strong or weak. Muscles are strong or weak. And muscles strengthened outside the movement pattern they must work within do not function properly in the context of that movement pattern, in addition to the fact that the correctly performed movement pattern loads the all muscles within that kinetic chain in direct proportion to their anatomical role in the movement pattern. Corrective exercises are a waste of time -- this is Physical Therapy-think.

3. One-legged squats are very hard on most people's knees. When I was squatting 600 I could not do "pistol" squats. The "interest" level of an exercise is irrelevant. And a woman who cannot squat her own bodyweight below parallel correctly cannot do a pistol squat anyway.
    1. I came to that conclusion. She uses the bar to help get her balance and tries to avoid it as much as possible.

2. Which is why the incline leg press didn’t help. She has to get strong enough to hold herself in balance at the bottom of the squat.

3. No chance of doing pistol squats and as you say, it’s irrelevant.

Fair enough. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    Fair enough. Thanks.
    Thanks for trying to help Elle.

How many boxes do you have available? Do you have saws and drills available?

When coaching my dad (64, overweight, Type-2 diabee-tuhs, fascioscapularhumeral muscular dystrophy) to depth, I found success by gradually lowering the box. He had a similar problem where he would fall backwards as he approached the bottom.

I programmed sets of 10, starting with 3 then growing to 5. When he was able to get 5x10, we chopped half an inch off of the box. I started out stacking bumper plates, but he felt more confident squatting to a wooden box. Eventually we worked the box down to depth.
    Also critical was coaching that he touch the box, but not settle on the box.

No bar, push her hips back and knees out, touch the box and immediately come back. If she can do that, and the box is set so that she is hitting depth just keep it there. It will give her confidence to have something to catch her. Squatting to a box is better than not squatting.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchless View Post
    How many boxes do you have available? Do you have saws and drills available?

When coaching my dad (64, overweight, Type-2 diabee-tuhs, fascioscapularhumeral muscular dystrophy) to depth, I found success by gradually lowering the box. He had a similar problem where he would fall backwards as he approached the bottom.

I programmed sets of 10, starting with 3 then growing to 5. When he was able to get 5x10, we chopped half an inch off of the box. I started out stacking bumper plates, but he felt more confident squatting to a wooden box. Eventually we worked the box down to depth.
    Also critical was coaching that he touch the box, but not settle on the box.

No bar, push her hips back and knees out, touch the box and immediately come back. If she can do that, and the box is set so that she is hitting depth just keep it there. It will give her confidence to have something to catch her. Squatting to a box is better than not squatting.
    We tried that. As soon as I removed the box, she started almost immediately missing depth again. Then we were back to square one. I don’t know why it didn’t work ? She was even able to squat onto the box with the bar and some weight added.

This is why I NEVER use a box for this purpose. It usually gets interpreted as the target by the squatter, when the correct depth must be the target.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is why I NEVER use a box for this purpose. It usually gets interpreted as the target by the squatter, when the correct depth must be the target.
    Seems to allow a bit of relaxation at the point of touching the target, which seems to be a further impediment to determining proper depth ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast