starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Correcting my wife’s squat form

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    We tried that. As soon as I removed the box, she started almost immediately missing depth again. Then we were back to square one. I don’t know why it didn’t work ? She was even able to squat onto the box with the bar and some weight added.
    I assume posting a video of her squat here is out of the question?

You may have your spouse take a look at the symptoms / presentation of pelvic organ prolapse and see if she is having a cluster of those symptoms. If she does have POP, this could be the reason why she can squat to a box but cannot squat to depth on her own.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    I assume posting a video of her squat here is out of the question?
    Unfortunately- I’m under orders. She isn’t even keen on me posting about her squat.

Unfortunately- I’m under orders. She isn’t even keen on me posting about her squat.
    I'm not sure how much a form check will help, but it definitely won't hurt. And I'm sure both of you know this already but I'll say it anyways. Weight training involves doing hard things; be it getting underneath a heavy weight when you don't want to, attempting the 5th rep of the 3rd set when the 4th barely went up or posting a video of your lifts for internet strangers to critique. "If you can't get over the fear, just do it scared."

Quote Originally Posted by PuliMorgan View Post
    I don't understand the technicalities of coaching the squat form, but a very important lesson that I have learnt the hard way is that one should never attempt to correct ANYTHING that his wife does.

Yea, so please let somebody else correct her technique as Coach Rip says.
    Normally I would never say something is 100% certain. There is always a slight chance. For example you can calculate the probability of all of the air randomly leaving the room through the gap under the door and you dying from suffocation.

Having read through this thread, however, elevates your response from probable to 100%. It should be added to the famous ”first three questions” as a law of nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Petar Velchev View Post
    I'm not sure how much a form check will help, but it definitely won't hurt. And I'm sure both of you know this already but I'll say it anyways. Weight training involves doing hard things; be it getting underneath a heavy weight when you don't want to, attempting the 5th rep of the 3rd set when the 4th barely went up or posting a video of your lifts for internet strangers to critique. "If you can't get over the fear, just do it scared."
    It’s not fear, it’s trust.

It’s not fear, it’s trust.
    I wasn't saying you should loose her trust by just posting her lifts. I was trying to say that there isn't anything she should be scared of...Well there might be I don't know thats kind of personal for you, but it's better to get stronger than to not get stronger because of something like not posting a form check. Just food for thought.

Maybe don't post videos on this forum which is visible to the entire internet. Just get a one time form check from a SS coach via video, that way only one person sees it. And it really shouldn't be that much trouble, since she didn't want to go through the hassle of being properly coached in person which is obviously ideal. But it does seems like you guys need some concrete help on how to move forward, so just consider all your options I guess.

Got a solution after listening to SS latest Q and A. Use shin to block wife falling backwards. Going to see how she gets on today and apply shin block if necessary.

Result. It’s fixed. The shin stop was the final piece of the puzzle, although she had progressed pretty well using the bar as a balance aid. Must be a good acronym for it.

starting strength coach development program
    Result. It’s fixed. The shin stop was the final piece of the puzzle, although she had progressed pretty well using the bar as a balance aid. Must be a good acronym for it.
    That's good to hear. I need to re-listen to that answer; I had difficulty visualizing what was being done.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast