starting strength gym

Thread: Leg length discrepancy, is there any way to check at home?

Default Leg length discrepancy, is there any way to check at home?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I read the LLD article and I was wondering if there is any way to check for LLD at home by myself (I want to avoid having to go to a chiropractor during this pandemic)? I've had some issues like right thigh is slightly larger than left (can see with naked eye easily) combined with some right lower back pain after squats that I suspect I might have LLD just never discovered.

I don't know of a way to do that. Kinda like an appendectomy, leveling the pelvis takes another person.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't know of a way to do that. Kinda like an appendectomy, leveling the pelvis takes another person.
    In this case would you recommend avoiding heavy squats until it's resolved?

I'd recommend that you hurry up and get it checked.

I myself have this issue. My left leg is between 1/2" to 3/4" shorter than my right leg, and I believe it's in the femur, not the tibia and fibula. The way for me to see, is stand in front of a mirror without a shirt on, but a pair of pants or underwear pulled only up to your waist, then raise your heel on the shorter leg until the waistline is level. From there you can measure the space between heel and floor.

Like you I was having pain in my right hip (glute medius and hip flexor) due to a 2 year old work related injury, along with mildly a herniated lumbar/pelvic region disk on the left side due to the elongation of the spine on that side. Squats and deadlifts have helped immensely and the problems have mostly subsided. I occasionally wake up a little sore some days, but getting up and moving around along with lifting straightens everything out. Being 59 years old, before I started my exercise program I checked with my doctor at the VA who was in favor of the program. Having suffered with herniated disks, disk degeration in my lower back, along with occipital neuralgia in my neck I will wholeheartedly say get yourself checked out first to see how advanced your condition might be, but lifting has helped me where nothing else the past 10 years has. And I'm taking fewer Ibuprofins a day now too.

Lastly, and I'm sure everyone here will probably say I'm stating the obvious, but for me and maybe you, as we get older and with age related back wear and tear or injuries, proper back posture in the lifts is even more critical than a fully healthy person. I don't have much trouble with posture and form in my deadlifts, but I do occasionally on squats if not paying enough attention, and can always tell the next day if I let my back round on my squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Mark, I'm surprised you've never heard of Leonid Rogozov. What a badass.

Dr.-Leonid-Rogozov-operating-himself-to-remove-his-appendix-in-Antarctica-1961-small.jpg

starting strength coach development program
    Sounds like one of them foreigners.