starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gained 60lbs and 7 inches on waist...should I try to lose some weight?

Default Gained 60lbs and 7 inches on waist...should I try to lose some weight?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip,

Huge fan of yours. I'm 22 year old and just under 6'3"

In the summer of 2018 I squatted (not to depth) 405lbs for 3 reps and shortly after deadlifted 500lbs for single. A couple months later my hip started hurting and the pain wouldn't go away so I stopped lifting legs with heavy weight. I continued to bench though and hit 315 for a single in the winter of 2019. Shortly after I hurt my shoulder so I decided to switch up my goals entirely and go on a cut losing 30lbs putting me at 190lbs at the beginning of August 2019.

During the winter, I read the blue book and practical programming and decided I wanted to start strength training again. I slowly started squatting, deadlifting, overhead pressing, and benching with correct form and the injuries started to go away. I'm still running a Novice Linear Progression for squat and just squatted 405lbs for 5 reps, benched 370lbs for a single, overhead pressed 190lbs for 5, and deadlifted 455lbs for 5. I've been following everything in your books and have been eating a crazy amount of food. I currently weigh 248lbs. My waist has increased from 31 inches in August 2019 to 38 inches today (August 2020) which is what I wanted to ask you about. Should I consider trying to lose a couple inches off my waist while continuing to progress in the lifts or should I not worry about it. I've gotten much stronger than I previously thought was possible in such a short period of time but I'm also starting to get fat...what should I do Rip?

Calories/fat/carb/protein/height?

Quote Originally Posted by mielkeman14 View Post
    I've gotten much stronger than I previously thought was possible in such a short period of time but I'm also starting to get fat...what should I do Rip?
    When a strong dude such as yourself decides he's getting fat it's time to cut.

Get whatever professional help you need to select macros that will create a caloric deficit. Follow the macros for four to eight weeks until it starts to mess up your training and then stop. Take stock of how much you lost, how long it took and how much strength it cost you.

You will likely repeat this many times in the years to come and after a coupe of cycles you will know exactly what to do when things get fluffy.

I'm just under 6'3". No idea on calories or macros. I was tracking everything during the cut but stopped after. If I had to guess I'd say I'm getting in around 4,000 calories a day minimum and some days more. Lots of chocolate milk Rip.

If you're drinking lots of chocolate milk, you're not even trying to maintain a decent body comp.

I simply followed your advice. I know you agree that at 190lbs and 6'3" I was underweight so I started using effective programming and eating a lot. Since my numbers were going up I didn't think I had anything to worry about and didn't bother checking the scale. I just wanted your opinion on where I should go from here? I'm still adding 10lbs to my 5s on squat a week (had to make my Wednesday squat day light) and I'm squatting 410lbs for 2x5 tomorrow (I switched to 2 sets because I'm resting 10 min between sets and am running the Texas Method for everything else so my workouts are already 1.5-2hrs). I have confidence I can keep this up for at least another week and maybe even 2 or 3 so is it worth it to cut if I'm still progressing linearly or should I just maintain weight and see how far I can run out the NLP? Wouldn't it be worth it to try to hit a 500lb squat before the year ends at a slightly higher body fat percentage than cut and potentially miss out on progress? You haven't really been clear on where someone like me should draw the line? Based on what you've said about the weight you wish you competed at I expected you to tell me that weighing in at 250lbs at 6'3" is where I need to be or even kind of low to maximize my strength potential.

Where did I advise anybody to drink "lots of chocolate milk"?

A Clarification | Mark Rippetoe

I'm hesitant to cut when I'm making such rapid progress though. I care more about the weight on the bar than my waist line. I'm still running a linear progression for squat and based on how easy it was I have high hopes for being able to continue this progress for a couple more weeks. My original plan was to hit a 500lb squat, 600lb deadlift, 405lb bench, and 225lb OHP then cut while trying to maintain/build strength slowly.

Read the article.

starting strength coach development program
    You said in the article "Eating correctly may mean 6000 calories/day with a gallon of whole milk, or it may mean 3500 calories/day on a paleo-type lower carb no-dairy diet, depending on your initial body composition. If this or its equivalent did not happen, you’re not doing the program." I started at 190lbs and 6'3" and below 10% bodyfat. Clearly I fall into the underweight category so I did . I wasn't even drinking a gallon of milk a day either probably more like a half gallon or a little less but I was just eating a ton. I more so threw in the "lots of chocolate milk Rip" to show that I was listening to you. Looks like based on the article I should just start tracking calories and make sure I'm not over-indulging.

In the article you said that "skinny bois have now perhaps added 40lbs" and I was coming off an extremely catabolic period of weight loss. I lost 30lbs before I started following your stuff which made me regain the 30lbs and add another 30lbs. Based on this and my height wouldn't you say that is exactly the response you would expect if I followed the program?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast