starting strength gym

Thread: SS for cerebral palsy?

Default SS for cerebral palsy?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I'm a long time listener, first time poster.

As the title suggests, I have cerebral palsy, which affects mobility of my legs and hips (spastic diplegia). I'm wondering if you can give me some training advice.

Some background info:
    I'm 32yo male, 165lbs, 5'9".
    I started working out for the first time in my life in January 2018, working a typical 3-day per week full body bodybuilding routine. On this program, I gained about 20lbs in 8 months. After learning more about physical exercise, I realised I wasn't interested in hypertrophy. I want to get strong. So, I soon discovered the Starting Strength program, which I've been following ever since. However, because of my reduced mobility and balance, I can do none of the movements in the correct form:
    -For the squat and press, I use a smith machine
    -With the bench press, I have to put my feet on the bench
    -Deadlift and power clean, I can only do if I lean my butt against a plyo box or squat rack
    -Chin ups I can do fine

Despite this, I had some initial gains (first few months):
    Squat 45lbs -> 135lbs
    Bench 110lbs -> 165lbs
    Deadlift 65lbs -> 160lbs
    Press 65lbs -> 90lbs
    Clean 45lbs -> 80lbs

Problem is: I've been stuck on these numbers for about a year now. I had to stop doing bench press, press, chin ups, and clean for a while because of a double shoulder injury (RSI) and carpal tunnel syndrome (also both arms/hands) which has led to loss of sensation and strength. With any luck, I'll have surgery on my hands this year. Furthermore, I notice that trying to go up on the deadlift will result in a loss of balance and tumbling forward over the bar.
    Ironically, I've had the most gainz on the squat, and it's also my favourite exercise. I've also noticed an increased range of motion on the squat: at first I could barely manage a quarter squat; today I can squat to proper depth.

I should also mention I spent some time in a caloric deficit in order to lose some fat (went from about 35% to 25% body fat). I'm currently eating at maintenance (2600kcal, 160P, 325C, 72F).

I recently went back to a bodybuilding style routine, mostly because I was just disheartened looking at my stats, and it has alleviated some pressure from my shoulders. But as someone who's after strength and not physique, I feel like this isn't for me either.

Besides weights, I do some cardio (indoor rower 3x per week) and I train Brazilian jiu jitsu (4x per week).

I guess my question is: why isn't SS working for me, and how can I make it work?

The effectiveness of the program is dependent on very precise technical execution, which will always be a problem for you. In the case of profoundly-altered physical capacity, from CP, amputation, paralysis, etc., the case must be evaluated individually by a good coach familiar with workarounds for this issues. Where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The effectiveness of the program is dependent on very precise technical execution, which will always be a problem for you. In the case of profoundly-altered physical capacity, from CP, amputation, paralysis, etc., the case must be evaluated individually by a good coach familiar with workarounds for this issues. Where are you?
    I'm in the Netherlands.

Not helpful. We'll ask the board.

Thanks for your time!