starting strength gym

Thread: Pressing after RC repair long term

Default Pressing after RC repair long term

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So as I’ve stated in previous posts I had an acute tear that was surgically addressed. Because you are literally the only person I know of that lifts heavy at your age (although I am very aware many do) I wanted to ask you do you still press well this many years out from your surgery.

Lots of people have successfully rehabbed a cuff repair with the press, and use the press from then on. Have you not pressed recently?

100% agree. Tore my infra/supra clean off the bone about 6 years ago while bench pressing (bad form, bad spotter, bad decision to make a 40lb jump for a 'heavy triple' that day). Heard the crunch and that's all she wrote.

I have zero hesitation and have had no issues pressing or doing chins, other than I need to spend a little extra time warming up for the press. Oddly enough, the injury/repair has had more of an impact on my hand position on squat more than anything else - I have to use a slightly wider grip now. I even do light cleans as a warmup without issue...

I also bench, but I admittedly don't push it too much, but it's a mental thing for me. I press twice weekly with a 'medium' bench day on Wednesday. Gotta get your body back to working the way its supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Lots of people have successfully rehabbed a cuff repair with the press, and use the press from then on. Have you not pressed recently?
    Oh I’ve pressed remarkably well. I even bench again. My question is more curiosity about what outcomes are after a decade when you are older. The vast majority of people that have these done are sedentary people that don’t train or just exercise. I just don’t know anyone a decade or more older than me that has had a repair and trained. It is comforting to think that you can have it repaired and go on for years.