starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rib injury, perhaps because of belt?

Default Rib injury, perhaps because of belt?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,

So I believe I've just experienced a rib injury.

I think my belt may be too large for me. (I'll try and keep this post brief, I tend to not shut up. Ask my wife lol)

So about 2 weeks ago, when I tighten down my belt, I get a little discomfort on one of my ribs on my left side. Nothing too bad or distracting, but I noticed it. Then last week, it would be sore all day, especially the days after I trained. So I just flipped my belt upside-down, and so the pressure of tightening it would be on my right side. Problem solved. Or so I thought.

Fast forward to today. I was warming up for my squats, and I put on my belt the upside-down way. I went down into a bodyweight squat to get the belt into proper position, as shown in page 66 of the Blue Book, on the right column, middle paragraph. I went down into the BW squat, and came back up. Tightened the belt, then went back down to practice my position and movement pattern, and then POP! goes that same rib. I stood up, took off my belt, and decided to call it quits for the day, as any bracing of the trunk, or any substantial amount of breath being brought into my body for that matter, hurt that rib. And it still hurts.

Have you experienced this with a client before? Should I be worried?

My belt is the A7 Pioneer Cut Prong Belt in 13mm. It's a 4-inch belt. I'm 5'9"

I know you recommend 3-inch belts, but I didn't know that until after about 2 months after I purchased the belt.

It's probably a costal cartilage. It will heal in a couple of weeks. While it's healing, put a knee wrap around your torso to support it when you train. You need a three-inch belt.

The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

Equipment | Starting Strength

Thank you. I'll be purchasing a set of knee wraps now. You're the best, Rip.

I looked up what costal cartilage is, and it is on the anterior of the ribs. My pain is on the side/back, kinda where the middle of my lat would be

That may be a 12th rib.

Quote Originally Posted by eyezm View Post
    I looked up what costal cartilage is, and it is on the anterior of the ribs. My pain is on the side/back, kinda where the middle of my lat would be
    Two weeks ago, the same happened to me. I felt my belt pinch at the bottom of a squat.

I blame NJ’s “health first” lockdown, not my belt. (I’ve been squatting off too-tall filing cabinets whose corners bounce off the weights and unbalance the load.)

Afterwards, my squat didn’t suffer as much as my deadlift. Pulling the slack out of the bar hurt, as did taking a deep breath. I went beltless for a week or so, but didn’t layoff from exercise. (I can’t “train” for obvious reasons.)

IMG_20200814_173041.jpg

Where I'm putting pressure with my thumb, that's where it hurts. It's a bit higher than my floating ribs. I'm just stressed out because I'm afraid I cracked a rib.

What do you think happens to a cracked rib?

Heals over time

starting strength coach development program
    3 weeks, and you won't remember it happened.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast